Off Limits

I went to two mind-numbing lectures and I could only focus on Ben. Sure, you might think I should just get over it and that he is a player or something, but I can't just get over it. If I could I definitely would, seeing as my best friend could possibly get hurt in the cross fire. It's just the small thought that maybe Ben is that guy in your life you have to fight for and figure out... What if I am supposed to fight for him?

Walking into the Café was the usual scene. Guys, here and there, yelling across the room to someone else, girls on their phones, and people with open laptops who for some weird reason find solace in a rowdy room that smells like chicken soup and french fries.

I was supposed to meet up with Danny. He always sat off  in a cut and made sure his table only consisted of his two friends.

"Hey there, soft cheeks." A voice grumbled into my ear. I rolled my eyes knowing it was the guy who everyone saw as trouble.

"Don't call me that."

"As of now and until we break up I get to call you whatever I want, so... get used to it." He began to stroll away but curved around as if he forgot something, "Forgot you're sitting at my table. Right this way, babe."

First thought was to scream until my lungs collapse. My second thought ran through ways to murder this man but unfortunately I couldn't do either so I went for the more obvious... I use my meal swap for the day on nachos and glided over to Danny's table with him leading the way.

I sat down in the seat beside Danny examining around the circular table at his two friends, I have no clue what their names are, and the two girls who eye them as they ate their food.

The guys act oblivious, as if they can't feel the girls glazed over eyes as they watch food slide into their mouths - as if it is the most fascinating thing.

"Hey." I sll but yelled to get their attention.

"Hey, whaat."The girl that spoke had a short, dark bob hair cut that fit her round face and olive skin. She was really pretty and could get any guy she wanted. She was the one eyeing his friend that had blond curly hair and wore plain jeans and a dark blue muscle shirt. I'm pretty sure his name's Gage. I think I had a GenEd course with him last semester. Not going to lie... he is hot. Almost as hot as Danny, if I dare say.

"Nothing, my bad." I sent a sad smile her way as she started to glare in confusion and with a pointed glance to her friend, they both left the table without another word.

I started to dip my nachos when I felt someone staring at me. I took a peep up to see Danny and his friends staring at me.

"What?" I asked, plopping a now cheesy chip into my mouth, savoring the spicy gooey goodness and waiting for one of the guys to speak up.

Confidence is just oozing from me today, I don't know if it's because of Ben or Danny's attitude quickly rubbing off on me. Whatever the case was... I liked it.

"Where the fuck did you find this one, Dan?" The other guy, with the buzz cut and black attire asked, his smile too apparent to hide. He was cute too, but in more of an imperfection is perfection, rugged way.

"In the dumpster out back." Danny side eyes me covering his smirk with a fork. "Off limits, Carter." He jokes, giving the guy-Carter a pointed finger then pointing the same finger in the blonde guy's direction. "That goes for you too."

They put their hands up in surrender. "She is a little too cynical for my liking." Gage added.

"Don't remember asking." I slurred loud enough for him to hear and they all started laughing.

"Well good, you'll fit right in. I'm Carter and that asshole is Gage."

"Kate-"

"My girlfriend." Danny adds as if it's my last name. He was up to something and I was torn on if I should get to the bottom of it or just watch it play out.

Before I could say a sarcastic or mocking reply I ate another chip. Danny nudged me to look behind us and after turning and thanking God for having my contacts in, I laid my eyes on Jared.

He was openly locking lips with Jessica McCray and the people in the dining hall were watching as if they've never seen people making out before. I turned and sipped my Dr. Pepper when I heard Danny start to speak.

"Idiot. That make you mad?" The question was directed to me and I knew he was referring to the two shoving their tongues down each other's throats. I answered after rolling my eyes.

"No... why would it?"

"Well, the guy's always had a box around you, making sure no one gave you so much as a high five. Kind of thought y'all had something." He shrugged and Carter listened in while Gage enjoyed the show with the rest of the onlookers who were using the distraction as a break from whatever work they were supposed to be accomplishing.

"Well, no. He thinks he can control what I do." I snapped my fingers in Gage's eye line and when I got his attention I asked, "Like what you see?"

He snorted and started to slurp up some more spaghetti.

"Well, I don't know about you guys but I'm bored watching this show. Let's add some spark to the worn out flame, shall we?" Danny's eyes went dark and that scared me.

He yanked my hand pulling me up and cased his arms around my waist before coming close to my ear, "Make it count."

And in that same beat his lips were on mine. He started kissing me softly and I snapped into action after a moment knowing what was at stake if I shoved him the way I wanted to. I can only imagine what would happen if I refused to kiss him back. Ben and I would be DONE and Danny would tell everyone about us... That's the last thing I wanted.

I let his fingers roam around my waist and instead of thinking about the kiss I kept my eyes closed and listened to the whispers that I'm betting were because of us adding to the already public PDA fest.

Just when his fingers were making their way up my shirt, Danny pulled away. Dazed, I just scanned the area until I could focus and what they decided to focus on was not a good sight.

Jared was giving me the hardest glare known to man. If he could I'm sure he would have kicked me off a cliff at this very moment. When he caught himself he glanced around, took Jessica by her hand, and walked out of the Café, without wasting another look my way. My heart sank as I replayed his glare in my head. That look told me he saw me as the nastiest person on the planet... and I didn't like it.

"We definitely got under his skin. Nobody wants to be slobbered on. Come on." Danny grabbed my hand and walked me out of the Café.

As we walked I tried to not let him see my guilty face. That was until I saw those familiar blue eyes once we made it out of the building.

Ben was ogling me, a million things running through his eyes but I couldn't place any. We just stared into each other's faces, not know what else to do but to get lost in our own thoughts. Until an arm grasped him and drew him close, speaking softly in his ear. It was when he glanced down that I noticed Halley. Ben gave her an lopsided smile before pecking her nose and rotating to walk in the opposite direction. Unlike Jared, I waited and watched as he crooked his head slightly to steal one last look in my direction before being submerged in a sea of students walking away from campus.

"So how was our kiss?" Danny asked, transporting me back to reality. I felt my head begin to hammer.

Danny is a player, a cocky know-it-all who got everything and one he wanted. He only cared about himself and treated everyone like dirt, not to add that he is currently blackmailing me. After taking all of that into consideration... why is it hard to label that malice kiss as a bad one?

I have definitely taken a huge leap over unexplained territory.
____________________________________________________________________

Don't forget to like and comment

Catch you on the page flippin' side