Some Friend

It obviously isn't my day.

1. I woke up with an extreme migraine that only intensified when my alarm started screaming. Which was no help because I was still running late.
2. I forgot I need new contacts so now I'm stuck wearing huge green-rimmed glasses that are not high on the fashion trend if you know what I mean.
3. I spilled orange juice all over my new plaid pink and white top which means I have to try pulling off the whole oversized sweatshirt style- which doesn't look good on me by the way. I always end up looking like a bean bag.
4. The cherry on top, the humidity hit my hair before I could even run up the front stairs of the science and math building.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some douche came up to me and yelled "nice hair" or something. Welcome to second semester, Freshie. I think to myself as I open one of the double doors.

You would think this campus could afford automatic doors for every department- nope. Yally University only cares about their precious sports fields but I wouldn't expect anything else living in North Carolina.

"Kate!" An all too familiar voice calls out while I raced down the halls, patting down my frizzed hair, hoping that some meathead would run me over and end my misery.

"Hey," I mumble, not caring whether he heard me or not. Jared Funnik was my friend, second best friend you could even say. He stood about a foot above my 5'2 height and has light brown hair with killer white teeth.

Jared is one of those boy next door type of guys. According to the rumor mill everyone saw him as just another cute face trying to get a degree until he made an impression on people by treating frat guys like the chewed gum beneath his grubby, old chuck taylors. Some people love him for it but others think he's just playing a role... I was one of those people at first but you can't blame me - even though he calls frat guys out on their bullshit they still respect him and make sure he's invited to all their wild parties. After getting to know him, I realized he genuinely is just a nice guy and he became a funky Funnik and my ticket into said parties.

We've been friends since we were lab partners last semester. In fact, we became so close that one night I let him sleep over at my house even if it was only because my dad didn't want him driving back to his place at two o'clock in the morning. He slept on our downstairs couch, of course.

He's a definite sight for sore eyes when it comes to the ladies- other ladies that is. Don't get me wrong, I can't unsee how attractive he is but I keep him around because he's a fun time whenever I get bored. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have me backpacking in Europe if I let him. After all those late nights and early mornings cramming for inevitable C- grades, we didn't have a choice but to become actual friends.

"You look horrible... car break down again? I really think you should let me take a look under the hood." He says, his body turning to linger on some girls walking the opposite direction of us.

"Oh my, you're a wonderful friend. I thought I showed up for class looking like a supermodel." Feel free to note my sarcasm.

"What? This one of those moments where I should've lied? And again... your car?" He turned back, his long legs catching up with my quick pace in no time.

"It's fine, thank you very much. Today is just one of those days," I respond. Placing my weirdo glasses in my shoulder bag, I am just going to copy notes from Halley and pray I'm not asked to read something from the board because sitting at the front of a class of over eighty students in what I am wearing isn't on my list of options. I grab Jared's arm, stopping in the middle of the hallway, "Hey, have you seen Halley?"

Jared stared at me long and hard, as if he was trying to read my mind just by my facial expression, before replying with a whispered, "damn." His eyes grew wide making the brown in them shine.