Chapter Eighteen

As always, sorry for the wait! I am especially PROUD of myself for this chapter. To me it's the best one yet ^_^ I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Make sure you vote, comment, and add it to your reading list. Share it to if you like! :) My goal is to get Richelle Mead (The Author) to read it! (Big dream huh?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                           Chapter 18 DPOV

It wasn’t often that I got in trouble.

In fact- I rarely did. But I was now.

“You were supposed to be patrolling the grounds!” Headmistress Kirova paced back and forth alongside her desk. Every now and then she’d look up and glare at me. “If this circulates the school,” she held a finger pointedly at me, “you will be held accountable.” I nodded solemnly. “In fact, I’m struggling to see why you found it necessary to accompany Novice Hathaway when she had a nurse on duty to assist her if need be. Is sitting by her side more important than your duty?” I looked away from her blaring angered gaze. “What if Strigoi had poured in? What then?” She huffed. “Honestly for a smart young man you sure do make poor decisions over an irresponsible novice Dimitri.” The rant had been going on for five minutes. Over and over I’d had duty drilled into me. Words such as irresponsible, unnecessary, unprofessional had been said many times. I didn’t dispute this- instead, I apologised respectfully whenever I saw fit. Staying with Rose through recovery had been a mistake. I was supposed to be on duty however, my personal feelings had made me stay by her side for 3 whole hours. This mess with Vasilisa could’ve been prevented if I’d been out patrolling the grounds like I was meant to.

“So, Mr Belikov, as you were absent for no acceptable reason you will make up that time. You’ll be training the junior novice class tomorrow morning during your time off. Your session with Rose is cancelled.” She had a smug look on her face. I’d guarded a junior class on a few occasions and watched the Guardian trainers try and teach the novices different combat manoeuvres, their focus and attention span was considerably short. They were the most difficult to teach because of that. It was incredibly frustrating to their trainers. Especially as they asked pointless idiotic questions frequently.

Kirova seemed to expect some kind of annoyed reaction, but I stared blankly. “I don’t want anything like this to happen again. But if it does- one outcome is guaranteed. Your sessions with Rose will cease, and she will be on her own trying to play catch up. If she falls to far behind- which she will- then she will be transferred to another academy far far from here. Never to be seen or heard from again. Is that clear?”

“Yes mam’.” Her expression was cold.

“Dismissed.”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

“Do you wear a cape because your secretly superman?” I couldn’t hold back my laughter. The junior novice tugged on my duster, his blue eyes looked up at me hopefully. I bent down on one knee so that we were eye level.

“No. I’m not superman, I’m a Guardian. But I’m just like superman. I have super strength and speed, and one day you will too. But you need to train very hard and pay attention to your instructors.”

“Okay Mr Beev.” I laughed once more at his attempt to say my last name. He ran over to his classmates who were standing in the middle of the gymnasium.

“Alright Junior Novices quieten down.” Alberta was running today’s session. Apart from me, one other Guardian was assisting. We were set up at stations. Station 1, which is where I was placed, was the running block. Students would run 2 laps around the gym whilst being chased by me, the ‘Strigoi’. Their job was to outrun me- which obviously wasn’t possible at their age- but the task was purely to get there adrenaline pumping and to test their endurance. Station 2 was combat, an altercation with a ‘strigoi’. They had to confront the ‘Strigoi’ and try and land blows. Station 3 was defence. Students were purely dodging and blocking blows from the Strigoi.