Chapter Ten

Thank you all for being so patient, its been weeks since i last uploaded a chapter! I've made it super long for you guys, its one of my best chapters yet. Hopefully the next chapter will be up in the following week- fingers crossed. But for now, happy reading...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                               Chapter 10

 “See to it she stays in line. We can’t have her highness think we aren’t capable of teaching our students basic respect. If she puts one foot wrong, she’s out of here. For good.” Kirova huffed. I stood in her office next to Alberta. Kirova had called us in after I’d finished training with Rose this morning. We’d been informed that Queen Tatiana, the moroi leader, was visiting the Academy with a group of followers as part of all saints day. The novices and moroi were all excited, eager for the celebration to start. It was also an event to dress nice and mingle. Kirova was allowing Rose to go, on strict terms- her every move was to be watched. By me. I agreed with this only because I feared she’d find one way or another to get into trouble.

 I didn’t see Rose throughout the day; it was Alberta’s turn to watch her. I had instead guarded Christian Ozera’s cooking class. I watched him closely, mainly his interaction with his class mates. He was the only one in the class without a cooking partner and no one shared the bench opposite him. He didn’t seem to mind though and he finished before any of the other students. Probably because they were too busy mucking around then actually cooking their food. He only spoke once, and that was to ask the teacher a question. No one looked his way or acknowledged his existence. I felt pity for him. Not having any friends seemed like a horrible way to live life as a moroi. Especially a royal one.

 Royal blood ran through Christian Ozera’s veins yet no one acknowledged it because of his family’s shame and disgrace. Having strigoi for parents wasn’t something taken lightly around here. My mind drifted from Christian to Rose, nothing but a familiar topic on my mind these days. She consumed most of my thoughts, but it was to be expected. She was a large part of my life and had been ever since that night we returned her and Vasilisa to St. Vladimir’s. She stood out from others around her and it wasn’t just her attitude but everything about her. Inside and out she was admired, I saw her beauty and strength in different ways. Through fighting and protecting Vasilisa. Rose may act immature at times but her attitude around Vasilisa was beyond her years. She believed it was her duty to keep Vasilisa safe, not only from Strigoi but everyone around her. It wasn’t just a physical bond they shared. It was mental to. I’d never seen something like it in my life, it was rare. Rose was rare.

 Ten minutes before the bell rang I left the class early to set up for Rose’s training session. This time I got changed into a T-shirt and loose running pants opposed to my usual jeans. As the seconds passed, an unfamiliar surge of adrenaline coursed through my body. Rose would arrive in under a minute. I was confused to the feeling inside of me, at knowing this fact, but I automatically ignored it and became serious when Rose entered the gym. Her hair was down in loose ringlets, she wore a baggy top paired with tight fitting jeans. She had a natural glow about her today. She was one of those women who looked good without makeup, those were rare to come by. I shook the unimportant information from my mind and got down to business. I positioned Rose so she stood facing me and instinctively crossed my arms.

 “What’s the first problem you’ll run into when facing a strigoi?” I asked.

 “They’re immortal?” She replied. I shook my head.