Chapter Seven

The wait for this chapter has been a long one, and your patience will be rewarded. I will try my hardest to post one chapter every two weeks as school consumes most of my life right now. I hope the wait has been worth it. Enjoy readers....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knocked on the door hesitantly, sparing a few moments to settle my thoughts. Something serious was going on at the Academy and someone dangerous was behind it. I intended to find out who it was and what they wanted. The only problem was I had no clue where to start.

The door to Kirova’s office opened and I nodded to her in greeting before stepping in and walking over to stand in front of her desk. Kirova was a smart woman and I knew she’d take control of the situation before it got to out of control. This new act of distaste was directed at Vasilisa Dragomir and she was a moroi of high importance, no one was above her on the strigoi’s most wanted list. But somehow I doubted this was a strigoi threat, no this was more personal. You didn’t kill an innocent animal and lay it on some girl’s bed as a silly prank. It didn’t seem threatening however; it was more like a test of some sort. But what the test was for was beyond anyone’s guess. I had a feeling Lissa’s element had something to do with it, although her power was unclear to us. She was different from the other moroi; I could see it in the way she acted. Even this young she appeared to be destined for greatness. Others were drawn to her in a way that seemed unnatural. She could walk up to anybody and immediately grab their full attention. A skill not just anyone could acquire.

Kirova cleared her throat as she sat down in her chair. Guardians never sat down in a chair, even when it seemed unnecessary to stand.

“You may sit Belikov; you can let your guard down in here.” I gave her a reluctant look but regarded her casually.

“I’d prefer not if you wouldn’t mind.”

“Very well,” she nodded. “I suppose you know why you’re here Belikov. See, Vasilisa is a high profile moroi, when this gets out there will be a lot of acquisitions made by her peers.” She paused to make sure I understood, I gestured for her to go on. “I need you to keep an eye out for anyone acting suspicious around her. Forget Ms Hathaway for the moment, Alberta will watch over her. I want a report of who Vasilisa interacts with and where she is every minute of every day. If this gets worse we’ll have to start interviewing students. She’ll be on 24 hour surveillance. If anyone or anything seems suspicious, report back to me at once.” Her face was condemned but I could see the uncertainty in her eyes. She didn’t know what to do in a situation like this, acting to extreme measures was her natural reaction.

“If that is what you think is best for Vasilisa, I shall see to it that it’s done.” I bowed, clearly this meeting was over. As soon as I left I thought of any possible students who’d have a grudge towards her. But when you were liked by everyone was it possible to have enemies? Would it be an act of scorn or an act of jealousy? Only time would tell.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I woke up from my nap at about 11pm. Seeing as the next class didn’t start for another 20 minutes I decided to take my time walking there. On the way I ran in to Alberta who had a huge grin on her face.

“She’s improving. Congratulations.” She said, as I regarded her with a confused stare. “Rose won her first fight in gym class against Shane Reyes.” A small smile crept onto my face. Shane was a tough component. Rose had done well to defeat him. Looks like our lessons were helping her improve her skills after all.

“I’m sure we’ll see more of that in the next couple of weeks,” I said confidently.

“I don’t doubt that, you’ve proven yourself to be a great mentor for Rose. Hopefully her attitude around others won’t let you down, you know what she’s like.” I nodded. Yes I did know what she was like. Rose had a very short fuse and although she’d been on good behaviour so far, I had a feeling her anxiety and anger were building up. The stress from Vasilisa over the recent events would take its toll on Rose through the bond. I was sure of it. Being linked to ones mind would no doubt have its disadvantages.

I said goodbye to Alberta who told me she was on her way to guard the first year’s gym class. The little ones were always amusing to watch when they were fighting. I was going in the other direction towards the opposite side of campus. I had the pleasure of guarding one of Stan Alto’s classes, they too were of great amusement. I walked into his classroom knowing the next 70 minutes would be worthwhile.

                                   ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Near the end of the lesson I got a text from Alberta concerning Rose and Vasilisa. Things aren’t looking good, people know about the incident and are giving Vasilisa a hard time. I’m writing down a list of possible suspects.” I sighed in dismay. Rose’s temper was sure to be rising with the antagonism towards Vasilisa. I had a feeling her good behaviour was about to be broken.

Five minutes later my thoughts were confirmed. Another text from Alberta informed me that Christian Ozera had set one of the students on fire for tormenting Vasilisa. Rose thankfully had acted only in a way of shielding Vasilisa from the flames. One again showing her seriousness when protecting the princess. An act that was sure to get her bonus points in Kirova’s good books. However this meant we had a new list of suspects for people suspected to be a threat towards Vasilisa. That narrowed it down a lot and would make finding the offender a lot easier for the rest of us. I only hoped they wouldn’t commit their next offence while nobody else was around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... what did you think? Comments and votes would be appreciated. Critism welcome, if you don't like the behind the scenes storyline between Kirova, Alberta and dimitri let me know.