Chapter Eight

So now we see Dimitri sneaking around and following moroi suspected of being a threat to Lissa. Also Dimitri discovers Rose and Jesse making out! Let's see how this goes down x'D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn’t surprised when Headmistress Kirova sent me to her office after the Christian Ozera incident. I walked in and saw the boy sitting in the chair in front of her desk. He glanced at me as I entered and his expression turned guarded. I payed no attention to him and walked over to Alberta, who was in the corner of the room. I nodded to her in greeting. Kirova turned her attention back to the boy.

“He hasn’t said a thing.” Alberta whispered.

“That doesn’t surprise me.” I muttered. Kirova cleared her throat and gave Christian a sharp look.

“Obviously you already know magic isn’t allowed to be used in the classroom. I’m looking forward to your excuse on why you thought it was necessary to use it, Mr Ozera.” Christian stared at her, and a look of unease flashed across his face.

“I did it because Ralf was tormenting Rose and Lissa, I thought using magic would shut him up, and it did.” He smirked, obviously picturing Ralf’s face when the flames lit up around him. Kirova looked at him in disgrace.

“And you thought magic was the best way to do it, did you?” She scowled. “Control your temper Mr Ozera. I will not tolerate such behaviour. If I find that you even threaten to use magic against another student, you will be removed from the academy, is that clear?” Christian stared at her in disbelief, obviously the boy didn’t see that using magic against a peer was that serious.

“I understand.” He said.

“Good. As punishment you’re suspended for a week. I suggest you stay out of trouble for the time being, that is all.” Christian didn’t show any sort of reaction to his punishment and left the room quietly. A moment later Kirova turned to look at me.

“Follow him. No doubt he’s going to find Vasilisa.” I nodded and ran out the door. I saw him at the end of the hall and made sure I kept my distance. My eyes widened as he eventually walked out onto the grounds and headed towards the chapel. Why on earth would he be going to the chapel at a time like this? I wondered. As he neared the door I hid behind an old oak. Sure enough he looked back to see if he’d been followed and a second later he opened the door and stepped in. Breaking into school property was his next act. Obviously he didn’t get what ‘suspension’ meant. Was he the one who put the fox on Vasilisa’s bed? No. Why would the boy try and defend Vasilisa if he was the one threatening her? I decided to wait until he came back outside so I could question him then.

Half an hour later and I was beginning to think he’d left out of the back entrance or something. I was about to go and check it out when I noticed a small figure approaching from the direction of the academy. My hand flinched towards my stake. If this was a strigoi I needed to take care of it, and fast. I made sure to stay behind the oak. As I peered around it, the figure became recognisable. Vasilisa Dragomir was meeting Christian in the chapel. I nearly choked with disbelief. Why would she want to go near him after what he did? Unless she wanted to thank the boy for protecting her, it didn’t seem likely though.

She kept looking behind her, seeming afraid that she was being followed. I wondered if Alberta was, but I presumed she was discussing Christian as a possible suspect with Kirova. Lissa entered the chapel and I knew I had to make a move. I waited a moment and then walked up to the chapel’s door, opening it as quietly as I could. I looked around but saw no one, just empty pews. If they weren’t in here there’s only one place they could be; the attic. There were stairs leading up to it and a door leading into it. I decided it was wiser to listen in on their conversation rather than burst in and ask them what they thought they were doing in here after hours. After all, they weren’t exactly speaking quietly; they probably thought no one was around to hear them. I listened in and waited for something worth hearing. I already knew they’d be bickering about the ‘setting fire to Ralf’ incident. When their voices began to rise however, I knew this would give me valuable information to their exact relationship.