A Proscriptive Relationship: o4

“I told you he was hot.”

I looked up from my desk to see Casey standing over me, a smug smile on her face. Trying to be as casual as possible, I shrugged.  “He’s alright…”

“Oh, come on!”

“Alright. He’s really handsome,” I admitted, a grin escaping onto my mouth. “But listen. He’s my mystery man.”

Casey’s mouth just about dropped to the floor. “No way.”

I nodded my head somberly. “That’s him.”

“So I’m taking it that transfer student is actually new biology teacher?”

“Exactly.”

Casey chuckled. “Well, that’s an unfortunate turn of events.”

I dropped my head onto my desk. “I know. And get this.” I explained how I had been late to class and how I tripped in front of him in my haste to catch up to Lance, who had totally ditched me. She listened and when I finished she started laughing. I frowned and crossed my arms.

“Way to go,” she commented, shaking her head at me. “That’s a good first impression.”

I scowled at her. “Shut up. It’s not like I meant to. I wanted to catch up to Lance!”

“What about me?” Lance came striding up behind Casey, an interested look on his face.

I stared at him with a confused expression. “Why are you here? Didn’t you finish Spanish 4 last year?”

Lance frowned at me, and shrugged. “I failed last year. By one point.”

“Why would you re-take the whole class again then?”

“I wanted to get four years in,” Lance told me, pursing his lips. “Better for college.”

I nodded. “True.”

“Guess what everyone?” the Spanish teacher, Ms. Elliot, started, walking into the room. “Tenemos un prueba!”

The whole class groaned, myself included. This was the first class in which we had got a first day of school quiz. Casey dropped into the seat next to me, and Lance slumped onto my desk with another groan, sitting in the chair in front of me.

“We would have a quiz the first day of Spanish class,” he muttered, making a nasty face.

Date la vuelta, Lance!” Ms. Elliot commanded, and Lance begrudgingly turned around in his seat to face the front of the room.

The quiz was passed out and I felt relieved when I realized it was only one double-sided page. It was mostly old vocabulary, and verbs to conjugate. I finished quickly and flipped the paper over. Spanish had always been an easy subject for me. To occupy myself, I drummed the tips of my fingers on the desktop.

 The hectic first day was almost over. It had actually been a great last first day of school— and not just because there was the new biology teacher. I couldn’t decide if Mr. Heywood was a good or bad thing. He seemed like an awesome teacher, but he was also my mystery man. It was depressing knowing I couldn’t be romantically involved with him.  Like Casey had mentioned earlier, he was indeed young, funny, and did have a very attractive voice. You only read about these kinds of teachers in cheesy romance novels…

“Holly!”

I jumped and pulled myself out of my little reverie and raised an eyebrow at Lance who was pursing his lips at me. His fist suddenly slammed down on my fingers and I gasped in pain, retracting them quickly. “What was that for?” I demanded in a furious whisper, cradling my throbbing fingers.