Piece Nineteen

I don’t think I’ve ever had so much fun in my life. Sure enough Harry had pulled out all the stops for our date. First we had a lovely stroll across the beach. We finally came to a pick nick blanket lying on the sand with a few bits and bobs on it. The food had been delicious and all we did for ages was talk about our lives and ambitions. At one point he’d told me he wanted to be a singer. “Sing for me.” I had answered and he had. “I'll keep my eyes wide open. I'll keep my arms wide open. Don't let me- don't let me- don't let me go…'Cause I'm tired of feeling alone.” I had been speechless. The song was beautiful, even without any music. The sound of his voice bouncing off the waves hitting the shore was truly magical. Without us realizing the sun had gone down leaving the stars and the moon to do its work. I had kissed him, caught up in the moment. We lay there in each other’s arms staring up at the stars for a long time. It had been the most perfect night.

When I woke up I looked at my phone. Why did I always forget what day it was while sleeping? It said Sunday. I got up without hesitation and ran to the toilet for my morning wee. Once I’d satisfactorily emptied my bladder I washed my hands and tied my hair in a messy knot at the nape of my neck. I hummed a song while walking down the stairs. My mum was in the kitchen, cooking something that smelled a lot like pancakes. When I kissed her cheek and bent over her I saw that I was right. “Good morning, hon.” She said. “Good morning.” I answered going to the fridge and taking some juice out. “Want some?” I asked her before getting a glass out of the cupboard, she nodded so I got two out. Pouring the juice into the glasses I started humming again. Damn that song was catchy. “Let it go, let it go…” I murmured handing one glass to my mum. I took a sip of my own drink. “So, spill!” She said after sipping at her juice. I tried not to smile. “It was…” for suspense I shrugged, but then my mouth broke in to a massive grin. “the best time ever!” I said. I sat down on a barstool. “He was super romantic.” Mum smiled. “He’s a nice guy.” She’d met him a week before and told me that she thought he was the right guy for me to be dating then. “Yes.” I replied, taking another sip of my drink. “So… Did you kiss?” Why did mothers always have to ask embarrassing questions? “Mum! I’m not discussing that with you!” She laughed, “It was worth a try.” I rolled my eyes. She turned and plopped a plate with a few pancakes on it in front of me. “Breakfast is served.” She said before sitting down with her own plate. I took a bit of the deliciousness on my plate. “Mmm.. Lovely!” I said. Mum didn’t reply but the smile on her face said enough. She was happy that I was happy. And so in turn I was happy that she was happy that I was happy, if you know what I mean.

Monday came and so did the Big Confrontation. Niall was standing in front of my locker when I walked up to it. “Move.” I hissed at him, not looking him in the eye. “Jenna, just listen.” He sounded frustrated but I didn’t care. “get out of the-“ I gave him a push, “way!”  He moved and I yanked open my locker. “I did it for a string of stupid reasons but the main one was..” I stopped listening because behind Niall stood Luna. My eyes widened at her. She had a determined expression on her face that I would never have thought she could have. Her hand tapped Niall on the shoulder who stiffened and turned. He swallowed when he saw it was Luna. “Hi-um I’m sorr-I didn’t mean to-“ Niall was flustered but stopped babbling when Luna held up her finger. “I don’t want to hear it.” She said, I knew what she was planning on doing next but it still surprised me. Make a scene, she had said, embarrass the living daylights out of him. I could already see people slowing down around us staring at Luna’s hostile manner. “YOU, NIALL HORAN, ARE A JERK. JUST ANOTHER FOUL CREATURE WHO USES PEOPLE TO PLEASE YOUR DIRTY LITTLE NEEDS. YOU ARE NOT EVEN A DECENT ENOUGH PERSON TO ADMIT TO YOURSELF THAT WHAT YOU DID WAS WRONG-“ He was trying to say something but it got lost in Luna’s stream of words and insults being shouted at him. “AND NO GIRL IN HER RIGHT MIND WOULD EVER GO NEAR YOU AGAIN. MARK MY WORDS HORAN YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET LAID FOR YEARS. THIS REPUTATION IS GOING TO STICK LIKE NO ADHESIVE YOU’VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF AND I WILL DAMN WELL MAKE SURE OF IT.” Niall was staring hopelessly at her rampaging act. People had stopped and were staring. I don’t know what he was trying to achieve by stepping closer to her but it sure as hell didn’t work “STAY. AWAY. FROM. ME. YOU. DISGUST. ME.” She ended her shouting by slapping him in the face before turning and barging her way through the throng of people that had been watching. I followed her, looking over my shoulder to see Niall left behind with slumped shoulders and his head low. My heart clenched together as I walked away from there.