Piece Nine

Mum had told me to go back to school, so here I was standing back in the school hall. It felt surreal, normally school was such a normal thing but the two days that I’d been going here seemed like a distant dream. Maybe it was because of what had happened the day before yesterday and maybe it was because I still wasn’t used to all of it, honestly I had no idea. My class filed into the art room. “Jenna.” A voice I recognized instantly as Zayn’s made the hair stand up at the nape of my neck, he was close. Way too close for comfort, not that Zayn wasn’t nice or anything I just liked my personal space. “Zayn.” I breathed out. “Niall was worried about you, because you weren’t here yesterday.” He smiled as we walked over to our work benches, I hadn’t noticed that Zayn’s was behind mine last time we had art. “Oh.” The teacher came in and we all sat down at our benches. “Today we are going to be doing portraits, of each other, in whichever style you choose. Find a partner and-“ He paused for suspense “begin.” Everyone found a partner and because Zayn was the only person I knew in the room, I turned to him. “I think I’ll make a digital art of you, Jen.” I nodded and suddenly felt really shy. “I’ll go the old fashioned way, paper and pencils.” Zayn laughed and took out his laptop from his bag followed swiftly by a drawing tablet. I was impressed, he looked really professional starting everything up. I took out my drawing pad and loads of different pencils. Once I got the general shape of Zayn’s head on paper I started on drawing his eyes. I don’t know why, but I always started with the eyes. Once I got into the spirit of drawing everything else zoned-out. When the school bell rung I didn’t want to stop, but unfortunately I had other lessons to go to. “Aren’t you going to let me see it?” Zayn asked, just as I was putting away my sketch block. I laughed, “Not until it’s finished!” He stuck his tongue out, pretending to be a five year old and said in a high pitch “Well you won’t get to see mine then either. Ha!” I rolled my eyes but couldn’t suppress a little giggle as I walked out of class. Without thinking about where I was going I followed the people in front of me, when they stopped at a classroom I’d never been anywhere near before I got really confused. “Is this French?” I asked the nearest person to me. A girl turned around and nodded. “Yeah, you’re at the right address.” I smiled gratefully and craned my neck to look inside. It looked rather stuffy and dark in the French class. “Be warned, Mrs Wilkerson is kind of…” she paused , looking for the right word, “eccentric.” I nodded. “Right, I’m Jenna by the way.” I said smiling at the girl. She had short blonde hair that stuck up at different angles, parts of her hair were purple which looked really good on her but was something I would never dare to do. The purple in her hair contrasted perfectly with her greyish eyes. She had really stylish clothes on and everything about her screamed ‘she is so cool’ at me. “Hey, I’m Camilla, you can call me Cam though.” See? She even had a badass nickname. I started to say something but got interrupted by the teacher who told us to go inside. We walked in and everyone sat down at a bench. I ended up sitting next to Cam. “So, you’re new here?” she whispered to me while Mrs Wilkerson was saying something in French. “Yeah.” I said keeping my voice down. There was a general murmur of “bonjour” which I didn’t join in with. If she was anywhere as tough as my mother was on me about French then this was going to be hell, I really couldn’t speak French, at all. “Louis told me about you, you’ve already stolen two hearts here at school, eh?” I was surprised by the information. Louis had told this Camilla about me? And what had he said exactly? Camilla obviously noticed my worried expression. “Relax girl, I’m only messing with you. Besides Lou tells me practically anything, with a little motivation that is.” She winked and was implying something, but I had no idea what. She laughed. “I’m his girlfriend?” I heard the question in her voice. “Oh, yeah I see.” I said, but I still had no idea what she was talking about. “How long have you two been going out?” I asked, I was definitely curious. I had had no idea Louis had a girlfriend but it was cool with me. “A few months now, I don’t really count you see. I’ve known him for years.” I smiled and nodded. “That’s nice.” I said, meaning it. The teacher glared at us and walked over. “You,” she said wagging a finger at me “are you new here? In case you hadn’t noticed this is your French class and what language do you speak in French class?” She paused and I pretended to think about it. “Well, Mrs Wilkerson is it? I think it’s fair to assume that we speak English in French class. You know, like we both are doing now?” I said, I didn’t care if this would get me in trouble. She made a “hmpf” sound and her expression turned angry. “Name?” she said, being stroppy wasn’t going to get her anywhere with me. “Jenna.” She narrowed her eyes. I rolled my eyes at Cam who had her fist in her mouth to stop herself laughing, her shoulders were silently moving. I sighed. “Mavis. Jenna Mavis.” My attitude needed some serious readjusting, I could practically hear Mrs Wilkerson’s brain thinking. “Right, miss Mavis. You’ve landed yourself some detention, after school you will report to the secretary.” I sighed, extra time at school hoo to the ray! “And Evans, please contain yourself or you will get detention too.” She added angrily to Cam who immediately stopped silently laughing, until the teacher turned her back.

---------------------------------------

So there's no teenagers left. Yelp.