Piece Fourteen

I could have killed Louis, there and then. For making fun of me and interrupting Harry and my.. um- moment? I didn’t really believe we were going to kiss… Harry couldn’t possibly like me when there were all these other far prettier girls around, right? Maybe I was making a fool of myself and Louis just saved my ass from embarrassment? I didn’t know and I wasn’t about to find out, because the next thing that happened nobody could have predicted. When I looked up after the loud noises, Niall’s head was stuck in a bucket and he looked like he was throwing up, there was a girl lying on her back with something stuck in her mouth, another girl was shaving a guys’ leg and then there was Zayn who was in between all of them sitting on the coffee table with a horse mask on his head smoking a cigarette and looking very- make that VERY- happy. The first thing that hit me was the wretched smell of Niall’s puke. The second was the size of Zayn’s pupils. The third was that Louis was way too heavy to sit on my lap. And the last thing I noticed was the look on Harry’s face; it looked like he’d eaten a sock. “What the hell just happened?” It was Liam’s voice that rose above the complete silence. “Niall just tried some of my awesome cigarette and he seems to like it.” Zayn’s voice was breathy and I quickly realized that he was doing drugs. Drugs was such a no go to me and I unconsciously wrinkled my nose. Louis jumped up from my lap, thank God, and then swiftly took the cigarette out of Zayn’s hand so he could put it out. “What do you think you’re doing Zayn? Don’t you remember how it ended before? You promised!” Louis was waving the cancer stick in front of his face. Zayn still had a dreamy smile on his face. “Lou chill! You really need to have some of it if you’re going to be such a party-pooper all the time.” Louis looked like he would quite enjoy throttling Zayn at the moment, but he didn’t get the chance because Harry was already at his side. “Louis, cool it.” He said, taking Louis’ arm and tugging on it softly. “Zayn,” he continued with a hiss “out. Get [i]out[/i].” I was shocked by how cold his voice had gone. Obviously they hated drugs as much as I did. I seemed to come out of my trans while they were kicking Zayn out of the house and I walked over to Niall. “Hey, are you okay?” I asked kneeling next to the reeling guy, stroking his back in comfort. He stopped for a minute and wiped his mouth, his forehead was covered in a sheen of sweat. “I’ll live.” His voice was hoarse and he looked like he was about to die. His blue eyes meeting mine.  “Good. Do you want some water?” He answered with a nod and then another hurl as some slightly yellow stomach acid came out of his mouth, drooping into the bucket. “And a napkin.” I added, while I stood up to find the kitchen.

I wasn’t aware what had happened except for helping Niall recover from the little bit of drugs he had smoked. He had surely gotten it out of his system with all the vomiting, but I was still worried about his temperature. Niall had drank the glass of water in no time flat and the napkin had been used in seconds. I managed to get Niall up the stairs and to the guestroom that was next to Harry’s room. Niall had told me where it was, but it still took me five minutes to find it before I could lay Niall down in the bed. Now I was sitting on the end of the bed, Niall kept on groaning every now and then but he wasn’t vomiting anymore, which I was thankful for. I laid my hand on his and squeezed it slightly, trying to comfort him in some way. It was quiet and dark in the room, the only light was coming from the bedside lamp. “How are you feeling?” I was scared to break the silence so it came out as a whisper. It was still so quiet, except for our breathing. Niall groaned, “Crap.” he croaked. I let out a breath and smiled. “I can imagine, your body really doesn’t seem to like drugs.” Niall let out something that was supposed to sound like a laugh but it turned into coughing instead. “I’m never ever going to accept drugs.” His voice sounded so weak and he looked so vulnerable lying on the bed. The sight just yanked at my heart. I stroked Niall’s bleached blond hair out of his eyes, his forehead was clammy but I didn’t care. He closed his eyes and brought his hand to mine, which was resting on his cheek. “Jenna,” he whispered “I really-“ I shushed him, not wanting to hear what he had to say for some reason. This felt really too intimate in the dark room. “It’s okay,” I said “I know.” Niall groaned lightly. “But you don’t, Jenna! I-” Niall was interrupted by the sudden blinding light that spilled from the door that opened. I could just about make out Harry’s form standing there. “Is he okay?” he said, coming in. I gently pulled my hand from Niall’s and stood up. “He will be.” I said, glad that Niall couldn’t finish the sentence that I didn’t want to hear, whatever it was going to be. Harry smiled and walked over to Niall, putting his hand on Niall’s. “You sleep it off, mate.” He said and then walked back to the door. I followed him and with a last glance at Niall lying there I closed the door. Harry was leaning against the wall when I turned around, his gaze lingering on mine. “So what happened with Zayn then?” I asked, avoiding Harry’s eyes and staring at my hands.