Chapter 12

Flight sims

"Welcome cadets, to Flight Sims A3. In this class, you will be flying simulations in teams of two, usually a pilot and gunner configuration."

Sarah and I bumped fists, we were totally going to team up.

"Now, don't get all excited." Said the stern woman known as Flight Commander Jones, "You will be assigned you flight partner for the duration of the class from me."

My and Sarah's hand flopped down to our side in disappointment, so much for that.

Flight Commander Jones ran through the list, pairing up groups until my name was finally called, "Noah Price, you'll be paired with Breanadara Padrè."

I locked eyes with Brea from across the room, where she shrugged and gave me a weak smile. I nodded resignedly back as Commander Jones went on, "Sarah Hardrew, you'll be with Daemon Haslede."

I eyed up the guy Sarah would be pairing up with, he was about 5' 7" with black hair that hung low over his face, hiding his eyes. He gave off this vibe, a sense of intensity rolling off of him in waves that almost seemed to make the air ripple like heat off of blacktop. He made me feel... uneasy.

Sarah seemed to feel the same way, giving me a look mixed between fear and discomfort.

I frowned sympathetically towards her and shrugged, "Maybe he'll grow on you?"

She nodded, "Just don't get any ideas with Brea, she and I are roommates you know."

I smiled, "Really? Huh."
That's the only nice thing I had to say about that.

At Commander Jones' order, we all got into our groups and chose a simulation pod.

The simulation pods were monolithic black eggs with spider legs, four segmented legs were connected to the floor, bent at their joints to allow the pilot and gunner to climb the pod's extendable stairs and into the cockpit. The other four legs reached up and connected to the ceiling, this way the system was fully immersive...

Temporarily forgetting my anger towards her I turned to Brea, "What do you think the pods do when someone barrel rolls?"

She shrugged and pointed towards a pod already in motion, and I turned in time to see the legs detach as the pod did a full roll in place before the legs reattached themselves and the pod continued to dip, buck, and swerve.

"Awesome." I said, "They must use magnetics for levitation..."

I turned and noticed Brea still had a lack-luster attitude towards the entire experience in general so I decided to tell her what I had been thinking about on the way down to this class.

I sighed, "Listen..." I scratched the back of my head as Brea looked at me, "I was thinking on the... kinda long elevator ride... I shouldn't really blame you for anything that happened on that ship. I get it, you were doing your job, which was maintaining your cover and mission objective, and you didn't shoot me or have my death faked so... I guess I'm saying I don't blame you anymore."

She nodded, but her lack-lustrousness was still kinda there.

I raised my hands in the air, exasperated, "And I'm sorry for being a total jerk to you about all of it, okay?"

This time she smiled, "That's okay Noah, I get where you were coming from when you said those things."

I smiled back, "Good, now, do you want to be pilot or gunner?"

She shrugged, "I don't care... how about we trade off and see what we're best at?"

I nodded, "Fine by me."