Chapter 7

The Aftermath

It's hard to explain exactly how I felt when I gained consciousness, my brain felt... I don't know... crowded. Sounds seemed louder, colors brighter, I could almost taste the antiseptic in the air. The cotton sheets I laid in felt like sandpaper, giving me another reason other than the pain to keep still.

I don't know how long I laid there, breathing deep and slow, trying to calm my racing heart about the idea I was in an unfamiliar place. Gradually things started to calm down, by body's hyper-awareness having dissipated.

And then I remembered what had happened that had put me here.

I jerked up and grabbed my chest, instantly regretting it as shooting pain blasted out from my arm and the place I had been shot. I took more deep breaths as I fought to keep conscious, and gradually, with tears forming in my eyes I pulled my medical shirt up over my head, a small groan of pain escaping me as my arms reached their highest point. I collapsed back onto my pillow, shirt bundled up in my hands, I was exhausted just from that little bit of exertion.

Eventually, I worked up the strength to look down at my chest, most of my left side was covered in bandages, my left arm also wrapped completely up to my wrist in gauze.

What the heck happened to me? It looks like I was in a burn ward.

I laid there for a while, just listening to the beeping of the heart monitor next to my bed, slow and steady...

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

I blinked, and suddenly the lights were dimmed, I looked over to find a clock on the bedside table that read 2:34 AM Alliance standard time. I took a deep breath and gradually pushed myself up into sitting position, a much easier motion than earlier in the day. I must have fallen asleep.

I sat up and looked around, I was in a plain beige medical room of sorts, the walls were barren of any decor and the floor was composed of plain white laminate tile. A small bedside table rested to the left of my bed, on top of which was the aforementioned clock and a glass of water. To the right of my bed were a variety of medical machines such as my heart monitor and an IV.

I tugged on the tubing to my IV, gradually rolling the cart over to me and gripping the stand to help me sit up.

More pain surging through me, my heart monitor beeping faster. I took a few more deep breaths, concentrating on staying conscious as I swayed unsteadily on my feet.

Steadily the pain ebbed away again, I switched off the heart monitor and using the IV stand as a walker, I took a step.

Breath, step...
Breath, step...
Breath, step...

I rounded the corner to find myself in a small hallway about ten feet deep with two doors, one was ajar and I could see the sink and toilet from where I stood: a bathroom.

The other door was much more secure, almost comically so when considering the hospital-Esq setting. Steel framed and sealed with a digital keypad and thumbprint, the door itself looked as though it were polished titanium.

I closed my eyes and just stood there, I was too exhausted from my walk to get back to my bed. Eventually, I began to feel my legs getting sore, so I moved to the closest place to sit: the toilet.