Chapter 9

Sarah

"Anyway, like I said, Drake's a jerk. I mean, it's not like you could control getting put on medical leave."

Noah nodded, his spiked black hair bobbing slightly with the rest of his head. His green eyes sparkled with humor and intelligence in a way that made me forget to breathe if it caught the light right. He was by no means ripped, but his forearms and shoulders were built in a way that told me he wasn't afraid of some hard work.

All in all, he's actually rather cute.

"I honestly don't care that much though, I don't even know why he's cracking down on me specifically... Maybe he knew my father."

I raised my eyebrows, "Your dad? Why would he know Drake?"

Noah shook his head, "He's ex-Spacial Navy, I don't really know much more than that, my dad didn't like talking about it."

I frowned, "So... are you here because your dad wanted you to follow in his footsteps or something?"

Noah snorted, "Nah, my dad became a trader after he left the Navy, he and I were perfectly happy where we were." at those words a shadow seemed to cross his face as he seemed to think about something that happened in his past. "What about you?"

I suddenly turned red at the idea of explaining how I got here, "I, uh..." Noah raised his eyes expectantly, "I'm a ward of the state, we're required to serve in a branch for two years before we're allowed to live on our own."

I had expected the usual change in treatment, he would say, "Oh, I'm so sorry, what happened to your parents?" and I would have to explain what happened and then for some reason or another he'd stop talking to me, and I'd be alone again.

"Huh, that sucks... it's actually not so different from my reason being here."

I raised my eyebrows, That's a new one.

Noah seemed to think there wasn't much need to elaborate, his eyes back on his plate as he ate his food. I figured I'd change the subject before it got awkward.

"So... got any other family or friends before you came here?" I probed, Do I have competition?

"Nope, not really." he murmured, and my heart soared.

"Well, there was this one girl..." cue bomb drop "but she's my dad's girlfriend and I didn't like her very much so I don't think she counts."

"Aww," I reached out and put my hand on his arm, it was radiating heat off of it and he seemed to tense up at my touch, "That's such a shame." Guess I get you to myself

Noah gave me a funny look and I blushed suddenly, "What?"

he shook his head, "Nothing it's just... is this a joke?"

Okay, now I'm confused, "A joke?"

"Yeah, why would a girl as pretty as you talk to a guy like me? I'm a nobody."

I pursed my lips, "Haven't you heard? We're all nobodies to somebody, it's when we're somebodies to somebody that it counts."

He snorted, his eyes sparkling with the laughter he had inside.

and I suddenly forgot how to breathe.