16. I Dare You.

“Scorpius!” You called out, hearing the sound of a child's feet running upstairs, in an attempt to hide from you. You smiled to yourself and took the stairs by two's as you headed towards your sons hiding spot. As you drew closer to his bedroom door, you could hear his uncontrollable giggling.

“Is he hiding again?” Draco asked, leaning against the wall opposite you, a playful smirk on his face.

“Of course.” you grinned. “I guess he's not here, let's go without him, Draco.” you called loudly, turning and walking away from the door with your husband.

“Mommy, Daddy, wait!” the panicked voice of young Scorpius called out, bursting through his bedroom door. “I'm here, I'm here!” he called, jumping on his father's leg, and gripping it as tightly as he could.

“Oh there you are!” you smiled down at him, scooping him up from the ground, making him release his hold on Draco's leg.

“Where are we going?” Scorpius asked, peering up at both his parents with a questioning look as they both grinned down at him.

“To the zoo.” Draco and yourself said together, as you carted your son towards the door.

As soon as the three of you were outside of the protective barriers you had casted throughout the parameters of your house, you turned, while holding Scorpius, and Draco turned as well. Within seconds, the distasteful squeezing sensation on your lungs evaporated, and a completely different scene was laid out before your family.

Scorpius hid behind your leg, staring up at the creatures before him.

Draco put his hand on Scorpius's head, and ruffled his hair lightly, “No need to be scared.” he grinned down at his son, who was a spitting image of him, storm coloured eyes and all.

Scorpius nodded slightly, loosing his grip around your leg, as he walked towards the confinement that a particularly large creature was in.

It's head rose up slightly as Scorpius approached its cage, but then dropped to rest once more, in its paws.

You smiled down at your sleeping son's face as you tucked him into bed. He had a fabulous time at the zoo. He seemed to be quite distracted by the Unicorn's, and how they came right up to you, wishing to be stroked.

“He fell asleep fast.” Draco smirked, wrapping his arms around your waist, while resting his chin on your shoulder.

“Yeah. It was an exciting day for him, after all.” you sighed.

“Does he know that he's going to have to spend time with his Grandparents while we're teaching?” Draco asked, as he pulled you from Scorpius's room, and into the living room, where you both sat on the couch.

“I suspect he knows, but that won't make it any easier.” you shrugged, your parents had agreed to watch over Scorpius while the two of you were away at Hogwarts, teaching.

“Is his stuff all packed?” came a quiet and tired voice.

“Most of it.” sighing, you looked up towards the ceiling. Tomorrow you would be taking your young son to your parents, on your way back to Hogwarts. “I'm sure he'll be fine. He loves his grandparents.”

Draco smirked, his hand absentmindedly rubbing your own as its owner seemed to be lost in thought for the time being.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Scorpius!” You called from down the hallway, it was getting close to the time that you had to take him to your parents, then go back to your job at Hogwarts. Your back pressed against the cool stone wall of your home, while you awaited your child's appearance.