9. The Second Task

Your heart was beating hard in your chest. Your eyes drifted through the writing once more. Re-reading the ‘I dare you to love me.’ part made your heart fill with sorrow. Deep down you knew you were in love with your fellow Professor, but something in your mind fought hard to deny it.

‘What’s the worst that can happen? We fall in love with somebody that seems to like us?’

‘You mean falling in love with a stalker?’

‘… You have a point. But, really, what’s the worse that can happen?’

‘I’m not going to lie, I’m curious too…’

Before you could have seconds thoughts, your lips parted, “Yes.” it was almost as if the word echoed through the entire castle. A small flock of birds flew into the air from the forest, as a small pop sounded by the table near the fountain.

“Good evening, mistress.” a small house elf squeaked from her position in a low bow.

“It was you sending me the letters?” you asked, feeling embarrassed about agreeing to loving a house elf.

“Oh no, mistress. He will be here soon.” the small elf replied.

There was a light breeze that caught a few strands of your hair, blowing it across your shoulders. You brushed the strands of hair away from your face, only to have a man draped in a long traveling cloak, the hood was covering his face take over your line of vision.

Subconsciously you reached for your wand, preparing for a fight.

“No need to feel threatened, mistress.” the house elf chirped happily. “Master will not harm you.”

Your eyes glanced towards the small elf, before darting towards the man, who was standing on the other side of the fountain.

“You accept to love me?” the man asked, making sure to keep the hood covering his face.

There was something about his voice that seemed gentle and familiar. “Yes.” you said, you could feel uncertainty coursing through your veins, but you tried to ignore it. Your eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as the man in front of you lowered his hood, and rested his hands on the table in front of him, gently.

“Alice, join me for dinner.” his voice was calm and gentle. He pulled a chair out for you, and waited for you to take a seat.

Most definitely unwilling to decline the offer, you took a seat in the chair that was offered to you. Your eyes rested on the pale face of the man who sat across from you. “It was you sending me those letters all this time?” you asked, now realizing why that hand writing seemed so familiar. The many times you sat beside him in class, or borrowed his notes for potions, and it didn’t sink in!

“Yes. I’m rather surprised you didn’t realize it was me earlier.”

“Draco….. You fool.” you stated flatly, starting to feel annoyed. “Why didn’t you just come out and tell me how you were feeling?”

“Because you were with Fred Weasley.” he shrugged, “and it’s not like you were on talking terms with me, anyway.”

You held Draco’s gaze quietly. He was right, back then, you were a huge prat to him. “I’m sorry…’ you muttered, hanging your head slightly in disappointment. It was obvious that your actions years ago, had hurt him a lot.

Draco’s eyes stared at your petit frame for a moment. “Things happen for a reason.” he shrugged, burying past emotions down once more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------