Chapter 7

Violet's POV

"Are you sure you feel alright?" Juliana asked as we walked to breakfast, concern etched into her delicate features.

I smiled slightly, rubbing my eyes. I had slept only a few hours of the night, and my dreams were haunted by Nicolas. I knew I musn't have looked my best if Julie noticed my uneasy state. "I'm fine, Julie. Don't worry about me. I just didn't sleep very well," I said, trying to liven up my expression.

She nodded skeptically, but didn't question me further. We walked down the small spiral staircase at the end of the hall, the light from the rising sun shining through the small, lone window. In previous years, the passage was only used for servants and cooks, seeing as it led to the kitchen, but Julie and I had discovered it when we were young and had been using it ever since. After additions to the castle, the staircase was no longer used by the kitchen staff, and Julie and I could use it as a quick route to meals whenever we pleased.

We opened the door at the end of the stairway and walked into the kitchen, a busy and efficient scene as always.

"Good morning your Highnesses," whispered Gregoire, our head chef, with a bow of his head as he hurried past us with a large sack of flour in tow.

"Good morning," we whispered back quickly, enjoying the aroma of freshly baked bread and pastries. We tried to be as quiet as possible - our mother made it clear that the kitchen and servants' quarters were not places for princesses to frequent, but we never found harm in passing through every so often. We walked through the rows of stoves, ovens, and preparation tables, whispering greetings to the familiar and friendly cooks. They had all promised to keep our secret in return for what they considered great kindness and generosity. To Julie and me, however, they were friends, and were simply treated as such. We were grateful for their hard work, and were always happy to see them.

Dahlia, the pastry expert, who also happened to be Gregoire's wife, gave me a warm smile as we came toward her. "Good morning princesses," she said quietly, closing the oven door on a tray of croissants.

"Hello, Dahlia," I said, walking over to her.

"Princesses," whispered Gregoire loudly, "The Queen is wondering where you are."

I frowned slightly, wanting to talk to Dahlia for longer.

Julie noticed my expression and smiled slightly. "I'll tell mother you are on your way, just don't take too long."

"Thank you, Julie," I said, kissing her on the cheek before she hurried out of the kitchen to breakfast.

I turned back to Dahlia, who was decorating a danish. "How are you? Or should I say, both of you?" I asked grinning. She and Gregoire were expecting their first child.

She moved a hand to her slightly rounded belly, giving me a smile. "Wonderful. I don't know why, but I have the strongest feeling that I'll have a boy."

"I'm so happy for you," I said, glad to see that she looked well.

Her smile faded as she studied my face. "But how are you doing, Violet?" she asked softly. "I know things right now must be difficult for you..."

I nodded slightly, fixing my gaze on the danish she was now drizzling icing over. "I suppose I'll be fine. I just can't imagine marrying someone at the end of all this, and trusting them to rule my kingdom," I said quietly. I shook my head. "But don't worry about me, I want you to focus on yourself, and your little boy."

Dahlia smiled kindly, putting down the icing to give my hand a gentle squeeze. "You are one of the strongest people I know, Princess. I know that you'll find a way to make this all work out," she reassured me. "Now you best be off to breakfast before your mother comes looking for you."