Chapter 3

"Valentin was charming, was he not?" Adeline teased.

I had found Adeline and Juliana in a far corner and we had moved behind one of the large marble pillars, trying to obscure me.

"A bit too charming," I replied, smiling slightly. "I can only imagine what he would have done had father not interceded."

Juliana laughed daintily. "What do you think of Lord Christian?" she asked, smiling at me. "I find him quite handsome."

"He was the most handsome man of the fifty, in my opinion," said Adeline, toying with her skirt.

"I suppose," I said, looking down and fiddling with my necklace.

Adeline shook her head, disapproving of my indifference. "Violet, you cannot deny that he is handsome. And he seemed rather taken with you," she sang.

Juliana nodded. "He looked to be the most genuine thus far."

I looked up at both of them and smiled sadly. "I cannot afford to become attached to any of these men. I cannot control the outcome of the contest," I explained. "I fear I will be disappointed."

Juliana took my hand. "I think it will turn out alright in the end. Father has devised the challenges so that only the best of men could possibly win," she said, comforting me.

Adeline nodded, smiling slightly. "I am sure you will be happy. I just know it."

"The arrivals will now resume," a loud voice stated, emphasized by the banging of a staff on the floor.

I took a deep breath. "Wish me luck," I told them.

They both gave me an encouraging smile, and I made my way back to my throne. I sat down carefully on the soft red cushion and folded my hands. They were, once again, ice cold.

My mother and father returned to their places on either side of me. My mother patted my hand gently, attempting reassurance.

"Announcing the fifty-first suitor, Sir Cedric Brougham of Glenwood."

Again, the doors opened to yet another man, who held the same hopeful and confident expression as all of the others.

Sir Cedric was rather normal, which was refreshing. He kissed my hand appropriately, and was on his way. When he took his seat, I let out a small, relieved sigh. I had met over half of the men already.

I glanced toward Adeline, who was sitting near Juliana and our youngest sister, Lizbeth. Adeline met my glance and shrugged, signifying that Sir Cedric was quite average.

I would have been content with a man much like him though, for some of the other contestants made me a bit uneasy.

"Announcing the fifty-second suitor, Prince Quincy Gregoire Lafayette."

Prince Quincy was a plain man, and his face bared no emotion. When he approached my throne and took my hand, his eyes never changed.

"Enchanté, mademoiselle," he said, his voice unwavering and monotonous.

I nodded, and he was led to his place.

While I could not imagine living with men such as Valentin or the Duke, marrying someone such as Prince Quincy, I predicted, would be equally as terrible. I feared I would go insane if I were to devote myself to an emotionless man. I felt absolutely nothing when he spoke to me.

I traced the shimmering golden designs on my skirt anxiously. I tried to put my mind at ease, reminding myself that this long line of suitors would have to end sometime.

"Announcing the fifty-third suitor..."

"Announcing the fifty-fourth suitor..."

"Announcing the fifty-fifth suitor..."