Chapter 9

Violet's POV

"Did he really?!" Julie exclaimed, eyes wide. We were sitting on my bed again, discussing the challenge before Penelope forced us to go to sleep.

I nodded. "He just pushed me away. I was surprised how many of the other men did the same though," I said, disappointed. Until I saw their behavior toward me in the forest, I'd hoped many of the men were more compassionate. "I suppose I gave them too much credit."

Julie patted my hand comfortingly. "Oh but they must have been so tired! I'm sure they were not thinking clearly after braving the forest."

"Some were though," Adeline pointed out. "And that shows that they are kind and considerate even under difficult circumstances. I think that's a good quality for a king."

Julie nodded. "That is true," she admitted. 

I sighed and fell back onto my pillows. "I honestly do not see how any good could come from this competition. If he is compassionate, he may be weak, if he is strict, he may be cruel. I cannot think of a man alive who could live up to my father's expectations," I said tiredly, staring at my canopy.

"Or yours," Adeline added, rolling her eyes and smiling. "So they failed one small test. They might redeem themselves later."

"That's right," Julie said, yawning a bit. "They still have time to improve."

I pursed my lips, unable to imagine that my suitors could change much. Now that they knew it had been me in the forest, they would be extra alert for tests of character. I had no way of knowing whether they were being sincere or not.

"Why are you all still awake?" asked Penelope as she walked through the door, her tone disapproving. "Your mother would not be pleased, young ladies need rest."

"We were just leaving," Julie said sheepishly, sliding off the edge of my bed. 

Adeline shook her head at me and followed Julie out of the room. "I'm not even tired anymore," she muttered, closing the door behind her.

Penelope clicked her tongue at me and started helping me undress. "You should have gone to sleep already, look how red your eyes are."

I sighed. "I know, I'm sorry. I just had a lot on my mind."

"I understand," Penelope said quietly, pulling my nightgown on over my head. 

After sitting back down on my bed, Penelope began meticulously unpinning my long hair and humming quietly.

I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself. Julie and Adeline were right, my suitors still had time to prove that they were compassionate. It was just a weak moment during the challenge. But there would likely be lots of strenuous times ruling Anglia, and what if he lost his sense of kindness then? Could I trust my kingdom to a man who ignored those in need? He could be too compassionate though, giving away more than we or the kingdom could afford. I needed someone rational and intelligent, but still caring and thoughtful. 

My shoulders sagged as I realized that Adeline was most likely right about my expectations being too high, but I refused to lower them. Father designed the challenges so that only the most balanced and well-rounded man could succeed, and I tried to trust that he would not let me marry someone unfit to rule.

"What's troubling you now?" Penelope asked, now brushing the tangles out of my hair gently. "You get so quiet when you have something plaguing your mind."

 I shook my head slightly, trying to make the heaviness go away. "Can people be taught to be kind?" I asked quietly, furrowing my brow and staring at my hands. "If they seem entirely cross, is it foolish to think that they could change?"