Chapter 1

"Ouch," I said, under my breath. My hands were clasped tightly in my lap as I sat in front of my dressing table mirror. My lady's maids were brushing my hair, and rather roughly at that. The sun streamed through the large windows to my right, and I could see the tops of the garden trees blowing gently in the breeze outside. 

"Oh hush, Violet," scolded Penelope, my nurse. "You make a fuss every time someone touches your scalp." She shooed away the young maids and picked up the hairbrush herself. She gently ran it through my brown locks, shaking her head at me. Penelope was like my second mother, always running about and making sure everything was functioning perfectly. Her face was happy and plump, though her years showed themselves through the creases by her eyes.

I sighed and played with the blue sleeve of my gown. "I don't understand why everyone's fussing," I said to Penelope, "Father only said he needed to speak with me."

She clicked her tongue. "You and I both know that if your father wants to speak with you, it must be highly important. He is an extremely busy man with many responsibilities," she explained.

"I know," I muttered, looking down. "I just hope it's nothing too terrible."

Penelope set the hairbrush down and looked at me with a somewhat amused expression. "You mean you hope your father hasn't found a new suitor for you," she said, folding her arms.

I looked at her, slightly irritated by her teasing. "Is it wrong that I shouldn't want to marry? That I should want to rule without a man by my side?" I asked, exasperated with the subject. "Marriage is silly. I hardly want to live with a man telling me what to do and where to be for the rest of my life." I scowled at my reflection.

Penelope shook her head, smiling. "Dear child, you don't understand what you say. Not every man would be cruel to you. Thousands of men would throw themselves at your feet just to gain the tiniest sliver of your affection," she said, pinning my hair up. "And your father is a wise man. You can trust that he will choose a good husband for you."

I folded my arms childishly. "Why should Father get to chose? This is my life. Father doesn't even know me. The only time he ever speaks to me is when he is lecturing me about marriage. I'm becoming a burden to him, being seventeen and still unmarried. He wants nothing more than to be rid of me," I said crossly, shaking my head.

Penelope pinned a jewel encrusted broach in my hair and looked at me in the mirror. "You may not see it, but King Rupert only wants what he thinks is best for you. He needs to know that there will be someone there to take care of you when he is gone," she said tenderly. "Your father loves you more than you think, Princess. You are his first born, and he has always cared for you very much."

I sighed. In my heart, I did know that Father loved me. He just couldn't understand why I was so opposed to marrying. I turned around in my chair to face her. "Thank you, Penelope," I said softly.

She reached out and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and nodded. She left my chamber quietly, shutting the door behind her.

I stood from my chair and was about to walk over to my balcony where my painting easel was, when there was a soft knocking at my door. "Who is it?" I called out.

"Adeline," a soft voice chimed.

I smiled and walked to the door. I pulled it open to reveal my lovely cousin, who also happened to be my closest friend. I took her hand and led her in.

"What brings you here?" I said gaily. Adeline seldom came to visit, as her kingdom was nights away.

She smiled widely and sat down in one of the large chairs near my window. "Your father invited me," she said happily. "He said you had seemed a bit lonely lately, and my mother and father thought it would be good for me to experience a bit of travel. Oh Violet, you can't imagine how much I've missed you!" she exclaimed.