Chapter 12

Violet's POV

"Now this," Adeline said, her green eyes ablaze with excitement, "is a dress." 

She held a deep-maroon colored ballgown by the shoulders in front of her, gazing upon it like she'd found her soul mate. As she scurried over to the large mirror against my wall, pressing the gown against her chest, Julie and I giggled at her enthusiasm. If anything could capture Adeline's full and undivided attention, it was a gorgeous dress. 

"It's simply divine," she sighed, swishing the skirts around her legs. Turning back over her shoulder, Adeline looked at Julie and me expectantly. "Well isn't it? Or is it too dull?" she asked, worry suddenly creeping into her tone. 

I shook my head at her ridiculousness. My cousin could wear a servant's garb and still be the prettiest thing in the room. "You are truly insane if you think any fashion choice of yours could be dull," I said, smiling at her relief. 

"Good," Adeline said with satisfaction. She turned abruptly away from the mirror and tossed the dress onto my bed, somehow making sure it landed without a crease. "Now you," she continued, narrowing her eyes at me, "and you," she said, shifting her gaze to Julie, "get off your derrieres and start looking! We've been sitting here for at least an hour and neither of you have so much as picked up a dress! What shall I tell your mother when you walk into her birthday celebration in your dressing gowns?" 

Julie sighed reluctantly as Adeline grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet. Gesturing grandly at the numerous racks and chests scattered about my bedroom, each bursting with differently colored laces, satins, and, frills, Adeline beamed. "Your dress is here somewhere. Now go forth and seek it out!" She gently pushed Julie into the mass of skirts and fluff, then sauntered over to me.

"Don't scold me," I said with my hands up in mock fear. "I'm just not in a dress-searching mood!"

Adeline gasped. "Perish the thought! You, my cousin, friend, and closest confidante, were born in a dress-searching mood. You've been blessed with inhumanly perfect coloring, and we are going to find the dress that highlights it all."

"Speaking of coloring," Julie piped up, her voice muffled by the rack of bright yellow gowns in front of her, "what element of the kingdom does your dress represent, Adeline?"

I smiled, remembering that the theme of Mother's birthday celebration was colors of the kingdom. Each attendee was to wear a distinct color in honor of one of Anglia's finest attributes, as my mother always took care to adorn the castle and her garden with as many vibrant shades as possible.

"What else, darling? Anglian wine," Adeline responded, pursing her lips mischievously. 

Julie laughed, still buried in prospective gowns. "I should have known you'd pick Anglia's most enticing export."

Adeline shrugged, grinning at me. "I love you dearly, Violet, but I'd be lying if I said I won't be sorting through your leftovers once this whole process is finished. In the meantime, I want to make a good impression," she said, flirtatiously slipping off the shoulder of her dressing gown for emphasis.

"You're unbelievable!" I managed between laughs, slapping her on the arm. 

She giggled nonchalantly, walking over to one of the racks. "Someone has to be excited about a hundred suitable men living here, since you've obviously paid the subject no mind."

I sighed, slumping back against my chair. "Quite the contrary, I've thought about it entirely too much."

Julie appeared from behind one of the curtains of gowns, a stunning blue dress draped over her arm. She held it up to Adeline and me, looking at it with content. "The sapphires of the forest?"