Chapter 11

The_Black_Butterfly

~Chapter 11~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derrek's face turned ashen, and he looked as if he had just seen a ghost. His eyes unfocused, and a thoughtful look appeared in his eyes. The strange look in his eyes quickly disappeared, and a smirk appeared. Tilting his head slightly to a side, his gaze met mine.

"Drew what?" he asked casually, playing with a strand of my hair.

I frowned.

"Derrek, I can't tell you anymore than that."

He pouted, making my heart clenched. I don't think I've ever seen any guy pulling off a pout without looking incredibly childish. With Derrek, I don't think he would ever look less than hot even with the most ridiculous facial expression.

I sighed in resignation.

"Derrek, I've already almost gotten myself into trouble because of my carelessness," I grumbled. "I don't want to give him any more trouble than that."

He leaned back with his eyes closed.

"Alright," he said with a smile, cracking one eye open, "do you want to go to the carnival?”

“Carnival?” I echoed. “Derrek,” I scowled, “I don’t have time for that.”

He suddenly grabbed my hand, pulling me up with him.

“Derrek!” I groaned, tugging on my hand futilely.

 “You have to go when you’re mission is finished, right?”

“Well, obviously-”

I stopped short, realizing where this was going. Derrek slowed down to a stop. He turned around, flashing me a dazzling smile.

“Enjoy yourself while you still can, Claire.”

I felt a lump form in my throat. I shut my mouth, afraid that my voice wouldn’t come out if I tried to talk. Why did we meet like this? If only I were a normal teenager, all these problems wouldn’t exist. Just then, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Reaching into my pants, I pulled the device out. I flipped the cover open. My heart dropped, and I clicked on the message.

 Claire, I need you to report to me as soon as you can. I have already dispatched another assassin to take care of Drew. He should probably be there in a few hours.

 Anger flared up with in, and I clenched the phone so tight in my hand that my knuckles turned white. Derrek, sensing my sudden change in mood, came closer to me. As surreptitious as I could, I shoved the phone into my pocket. Turning around to face him, I plastered on a phony smile.

“Come on, let’s go,” I said, pulling on his hand.

 “What’s with the sudden change in mind?” he questioned, and I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“Nothing,” I said casually,  shrugging the sense of guilt in my stomach away.

He opened the passenger’s door for me, and he bowed slightly. I hid a grin.    

“Being a gentleman, huh?” I said as soon as he entered the car.  

“What are you talking about? I’m always one.”   I rolled my eyes at his innocent look.  

My mouth dropped open as the last can fell with incredible accuracy onto the space beneath.   “Choose,” he said, jerking his chin at the various prizes hanging on the wall next to me.  

Half an hour later, I was walking around the carnival with my arm around a large purple bunny and two teddy bears while nibbling on a cotton candy that he bought both of us.    

“You must have had a bunch of girlfriends to bring to the carnival,” I said as we sat on a quiet bench some distance away from the carnival.  

“Nah, I was just lucky.”      

“Lucky?” I raised my eyebrow and waved a hand at the three large stuffed animals on my lap.

“That’s more than luck.”  

Suddenly, I felt his hand on my cheek. Startled, I turned my head towards him. I felt my heartbeat quicken at the proximity between us. He was so close that our noses were almost touching. He smirked, placing a strand of my hair behind my ear. His eyes were dark with lust, and if I  I was honest with myself, I can say that a similar look was in my own eyes.  

“I’ve wanted to tell you for a while now,” he said hoarsely.  

Without thinking, I leaned forwards, just enough so that our lips were touching. In less than the blink of an eye, I was kissing him. His hands slipped around my waist, pulling me onto his lap. In return, I wrapped my legs around his waist and tangled my hands in his hair. At this moment, nothing mattered. I didn’t care that I was defying the very law that assassins must obey, and I didn’t care were in public. All that mattered was the person I am kissing. One of his hands was wrapped around my thigh, and the other was around my waist.  

I felt his tongue brush across my own. Perhaps it was because I knew that our time was limited, I was desperate. If I had a choice, I would never leave him. I bit on his bottom lip and ran my hand under his shirt.  

 When I pulled away, we both were breathing heavily. His lips went to my neck, leaving burning soft kisses everywhere on my skin. I couldn’t think straight.  

“D-Derrek,” I groaned, cupping his cheek with my left hand, “this is not good. I c-can’t just -”  

“Claire,” he said softly, his voice cutting my sentence off. “I have something to confess.”  

 I leaned my head against his shoulder, feeling a strange calmness settling into me. It was something an assassin like me never experienced.  

“You make it sound so bad,” I said jokingly.  

“It could destroy our relationship with each other.”    

“Derrek,” I reproached, “I wouldn’t think of you differently no matter what you say.”  

I heard him sigh, his cold breath tickling my neck.  

“My real name is not Derrek. It’s Drew.”