Chapter 7

The_Black_Butterfly

~ Chapter 7 ~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derrek came back from wherever he had gone, a smile gracing his lips. I shot him a confused look, and he grinned wider. He grabbed my hand.

The thicket of trees thinned, and a large cliff loomed before me. My hair rose in the air and whipped around my face. I narrowed my eyes from the bright sunlight and approached the tip of the cliff.

 It was at least a hundred meters drop.

 A large, beautiful lake nestled itself between the lush, green thicket. The surface of the crystalline pool caught the sunlight and glimmered brightly. The sky was painted in a variety shade of red. Thick, fluffy clouds rolled across the sky, making everything beneath it seem heavenly and surreal.

 “It’s beautiful,” I whispered, and I heard Derrek noiseless footsteps approach me from behind.

“Pretty huh? It’s the only place where I can forget about all my troubles and just enjoy myself.”

I gingerly sat down at a safe distance from the cliff and crossed my leg over each other. Derrek plopped down next to me, and he brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear. For a moment, I found myself helplessly lost in his bright emerald green eyes. He smirked and suddenly cocked his head towards the sun. I followed his gaze and gasped. The sky had literally every shade of color I knew.

A spectrum of color appeared in the sky, and the lake beneath us was a bright shade of ruby. Birds twittered noisily as they searched for their own nests, and at that moment, there were just Derrek and I. I felt tears prick at the corner of my eyes. Everything about this moment was stunningly beautiful and gentle. It made me realize how attractive nature could be. It was something that I, a killer, could never comprehend.

“Hey,” he said concerned, “what’s wrong?”

I couldn’t deny it. I was selfish. 

 I knew that we didn’t belong together from the very beginning, but I still wanted him. I shook my head and concentrated on a certain tree far from where we sat. The unshed tears quickly disappeared, and I smirked. I couldn’t tell him.

“Thank you,” I said sincerely. “You couldn’t have picked a better place.”

His eyes gleamed mischievously, and I felt his hand brush my cheek. He pushed my shoulder, and my body fell back against the soft grass. He hovered above me, blocking the sun from my view. The lust was clear in his eyes as he started intently at me.

 His lips suddenly crashed against mine, and I shut my eyes, enjoying the sensation of his soft lips against mine. One of my hands tangled itself in his hair, and my other hand was pressed tightly against his chest. I felt him bite gently onto my bottom lip, and I hid a smirk as I ignored him. I gasped, and my mouth parted slightly as I felt his warm hands slip under my shirt, running itself along my waist. He took that as an opportunity and slipped his tongue in. I moaned softly when his tongue explored every inch of my mouth. I tightened my hold on his hair, and my right hand managed to unbutton the top two buttons of his shirt. I ran my hand across his muscled chest. He suddenly pulled away. My eyes snapped open, and we both panted heavily.

I berated myself for doing something so reckless. This was just a fling, I told myself. I plastered on a small smile. He got up and offered his hand to me. I couldn’t help wonder how perfectly my hand fit in his much more larger ones.

“Sure, where are we going?”

 “Damn,” I mumbled, “this is so good.”

“Told you that you’ll like it,” he grinned proudly.