Chapter 3

Chapter 3

After a hard day’s work, Steel found himself back at his place. He was to sit tight tonight and wait for news to come. He just wished this mission would be over fast. The arrival of that infernal woman had complicated things on his end. He just hoped that Zane was having more luck on his end.

While Steel was impatiently awaiting news. Rose found herself surrounded by paperwork. ..

Crap, there seems to be no organization to it as far as she could tell. It wasn’t sorted by date or alphabetically, so she decided to tackle the closet. It took her all of three hours to finally make heads or tails of it. She knew it was her first day, but once she laid eyes on the mess, she knew there was no way she could walk away.

 It wasn’t until Uncle Mike went to fetch her that she realized how late it had gotten. “Your father is going to accuse me of being a slave driver Rose.” Uncle Mike said as he smiled at me. I smiled back thinking he was right. Dad always did say I got too carried away with things.

“Is Hope home yet?” Rose was really looking forward to seeing the spit fire that was Hope. She fondly remembered meeting her when they were children. They became fast friends and eventually she became part of her family as she also became part of theirs.

“Are you kidding, that girl is off protesting on your uncles fields today. She got it in that crazy head of hers that the way we inseminate is inhumane.” Rose had to laugh at Hopes antics. She single handedly took it upon herself to make things related to the Codey business more eco-friendly. If that meant tying herself to a fence all night to make Uncle Mike stop doing something she considered bad for the environment, she did.

“That sounds like Hope alright?” She smiled at her uncle as she tilted her head. “When are we going to start letting them breed the old fashioned way?” He flushed red.

“How did you know she was going to get her way?” He asked as he tried to regain his composure.

“I’ve been cleaning and sorting for hours now. The sets of boxes over there contain all of the insemination equipment.” He followed the direction my figure was pointing. Then he turned to me and gave me a sheepish smile.

“She’s my baby girl,” he said shrugging. “It’s a little thing to have to do to make her happy. Now stop talking and get your butt in the car. Casey will tan my hide if she knew you were still working this late.”

Rose happily followed her uncle to his car. She smiled thinking about all the love this land held. She understood her uncles need to make Hope happy. The majority of their money came from the oil fields. The Beef and horse breeding was just a side thing for the Codey’s. Mechanically inseminating the Horses made it easier for them to breed. Now it seemed like things will get interesting. There were several ways to have a Stallion mount a Mare.

She felt her face grow hot as she realized, it would be up to Steel and herself to figure out the right way. “You Ok girl? You look kind of overheated there.” Rose just smiled up at her uncle.

***

They spent a lovely evening reminiscing about her grandparents and all the fun she had on the farm. Once it got late, Uncle Mike drove her home. “I will have one of the jeeps waiting for you in the morning. The keys will be left in the glove box. If you need anything Steel can help you. I would like for you to give me a call if you plan to venture outside our land.” She gave him a hug and reassured him she would call.