Not With My Kid

It was Saturday and I knocked on Will's door. Will opened it, and he was in a t-shirt and a bathing suit trunk. He was wearing sunglasses. Josh was in his bathing suit, and I had mine under my clothes. I looked at Will and gave him a look. He was yet to do much on his end of the project. Mr. Jones said we where to grade eachother as well, and I wasn't sure if I was going to give Will a good grade. He just basically texted me that he was excited for the pool party. 

"Um...is your mom home?" I asked.

"She went out to get some stuff. Dad went with her. Come on in..." he said, and we both walked in. I could hear the pitter patter of the sandles I bought Josh.

"So Josh..." he said, getting down to his level, "Are you excited for dad's pool party?"

"Yes..." said Josh, then he grabbed my hand, "...this is my first time in a bathing suit in front of humans. Do I look okay?"

"Yeah, you do..." said Josh. "Josh, turn around..."

Josh did as he was told, and Will said something weird. "Command mode..."

"Josh..." I said, "What are you doing?"

"He's going to serve my family..." said Will, who smiled. "I figured we have a robot. Why not use it?"

I was going to blow my top. Use Josh? He's supposed to be our child. Will was getting a F for sure.

"No..." I said, "We are not going to do that! He's not some machine. He's our child!" I folded my arms.

"When did you become so protective?" asked Will, surprised as I was at my offense. I didn't know I could be so offended, but I was starting to really like Josh.

"Well, I read the manual and it says that you could also use the robot as a servant. My mom said we could really use the help at this pool party..." said Will, who smirked. I already wanted to smack the smirk off his face.

"Mom..." said Josh, and I looked down at him. He started to hold my hand tighter. "I can be a servant..."

"No...you are not!" I said, to Josh and than I looked at Will. "You are cruel. I was willing to give you a chance, Will...but you aren't just socially awkward. You are cruel..."

"He's just a robot..." said Josh.

"No!" I said, "He's not! He's more than that. He's our child..."

"Not our real one....you are taking this project way too seriously..." said Will, who seemed to not really care.

"You are not taking it seriously enough..." I said and I turned my back on Will, and swung Josh around with me.

It was then I thought of Christopher. Maybe I would give him a call and we could have a playdate with the two kids instead. That made sense, and I thought Christopher seemed so nice to me, maybe that would work. I never really thought of Christoper before in any way. He seemed nice enough, but he was so kind to his kid, taking her to a wedding for his cousin and he seemed, well, compassionate. I haven't stopped thinking about Christopher since I left the clothing store. Kinda wish I was paired up with him instead. I then noticed Josh pulling me back towards Will.

"Mom..." he said, "It's okay. I can be a servant to dad. He's going to have to re-set me, though..."

"No, we aren't doing that..." I said, sternly.

I had Christopher's number. He gave it in the store. I got out my cel phone in front of Will's house, as he stood on the front porch, tapping his foot. I dialed Christopher's number.

"Christopher..." I said, but it went to voice mail. Oh, right, the wedding. I left him a message on his phone.

"How about we get together for a playdate..." I said, "Mackenzie, Josh, you and I..."

"Hey! I'm waiting here..." said Will, but I ignored him. I was not going to subject my kid to this guy, even if he was his dad. Would this be cheating on Will, I thought, if I started to date Christopher? I kinda liked him right away. 

Instead, I decided I would take Josh to a waterpark. I put him in the car next to me and I drove a hour to a water park on the other side of town. I didn't know why I cared so much but I did. As I drove, Josh spoke to me.

"Are you mad at dad?" he asked.

"Um...I guess you could say that. Josh, you are not a servant..." I said, "You are not a ro..."

"But I am..." said Josh, looking at me.

"Josh..." I said, "Did you like Christopher?"

"Yes..." he said.

"You can call him dad now...." I said.

"Oh..." he said and he smirked. "You like Christopher!"

"No..." I said, "He's just...just a new friend..."

I don't really know Christopher that well, but from the time I spent with him in the mall, it seems like he seems like a good guy. I mean, who treats a robot this well? Well, obviousbly he does and I guess I am starting to do as well. It took a hour to get to a water park!

"Josh..." I said, "Do you really appericate me driving you to the park?"

"I do!" he said, but I suspected he really didn't know one way or the other but what he said next melted my heart. "As long as I'm going to it with you!"

"As long as you are going to it with me?" I said, "Why is that, Josh..."

"When I said fake best friends, I mean. Fake best friends!" he said.

"I thought I was your mom..." I said, looking next to me as I drove down the highway.

"You are more than that..." he said, "You stood up to dad and didn't let him use me as a servant. You are the best mom I ever had!" and he put his two feet up on the front of the car and put his hands behind his head. "I don't have to be a servant! I'm going to water park! So cool!"

"That is cool!" I smiled, and I put my hand on top of his head and messed up his realistic hair.