Single Dad

I put a bandaid on Josh's knee but didn't go as far to kiss him on the cheek. This was still new to me. I guess I could of. It was a Saturday and I knew Will had invited Josh and I to a pool party. Josh's dad, Will, and me, his mom or best friend, as he still referred to me as, or master. I wasn't sure just yet what to let him call me. It was all still too weird, but I had to act as a parent as I put the bandaid on Josh's knee. He looked up at me, and didn't cry or anything but looked upset. I guess he couldn't have tears, as he had no water in him.

"What's a doctor?" he asked in a curious voice. My mom said get a doctor, which is werid, because well, I didn't know doctors treated robots. Did she forget?

"A doctor treats humans," I said, in the most kind voice I can, "When they get sick, they go to a doctor. Humans can get sick...and hurt, sometimes. You just got hurt..."

"Why don't you bring me to a doctor?" he asked and I didn't really expect the question, so I was a bit surprised.

"Well, if you were a human kid...honey..." I said, trying to put on the mother voice for the first time. It was hard to put on a mother voice. I never really done it before. I suppose if I had a sibling, it would be easier, "I would take you to the doctor...but I don't think they treat robots..."

"Oh..." he said, and I hinted a little disappointment in his voice. Is that possible? I was feeling a bit bad, so I went around him, and I looked down at him. I tickled his bare feet and he started to giggle. I started to giggle too, much to my surprise. Today I would need to buy Josh a bathing suit. I wondered if Will would go with me? I picked up the phone and dialed Will. It went to voice mail.

Darn, I thought. I could of used Will's help here. I needed somebody to go into the dressing room with Josh who was a boy too. I guess it would be okay. Afterall, I am his mom, kinda.

"Lets go clothes shopping", I said to Josh, and then realized he wasn't going to walk so well. A scrap on his knee was new to him. 

"Put out your arms," I said and he did as he was told. I picked him up and was surprised how light he was for a robot.

"You are light", I said, in a kind voice, "I expected you to be heavy...You know, being a..." but he put his head on my shoulder and I was surprised how much I liked that.

"Do you want me to call you mom, master or best friend or Jennifer?" he said in a soft voice, "I'm really confused about that..."

"Um...." for the first time, I said it. "Mom".

"Okay....okay....mom..." he said, "Where are we going?"

"Clothes shopping to get you a bathing suit. Than we are going to take you to a party. Will will introduce you to his family..." I said. It was weird, but Will hasn't really been around too much with Josh and I. Forgetting how realistic a kid Josh was, this was still a joint project for a class, and Will wasn't really doing his part so far. My mom had gone to work, and told me to take care of Josh.

I walked through the house, out the front door with Josh in my arms and I put him in the seat next to mine. The car started to move and he looked up at me.

"How are we moving?" he said and I had to remember he never been in a car before.

"Oh, I put my foot on the peddle and it sends a signal to the wheels and it makes the car move..." I explained.

"This is the coolest thing ever!" he said, excited.

"I suppose it is..." I said and we went to the parkway towards the mall. He looked out the window the entire time at the other cars, and it was a busy day. The road was packed with cars and he asked questions like why is each one a different color?