The West Wing

I sat down at the table with a huff. I felt a thin sheet of sweet on my face and tried to wipe it away before the Beast noticed it.

Were were silent for more than a few minutes, stuck in an uncomfortable silence. But eventually, the Beast cleared his throat. "Are you tired?" His deep  voice bellowed.

"A little." I said with a sigh. It took a bit of effort to walk around with my cane everywhere. Especially in a castle as big as this.

"I can have one of the servants escort you from place to place."

I shook my head. "No thank you." I forced myself to look up at my kidnapper.

"I didn't-" I cleared my throat, not realizing how scratchy it was. "I didn't know you had a son."

The beast all but choked to death on his full goblet of wine. "A what?" He coughed.

"Chip. The little blonde haired boy. About 9 or so years old. I met him just a few minutes ago. He's a sweetheart." I coed.

"Oh." He said, almost relieved. "Mrs. Pot's boy." He shook his head furiously. "No he's not my son."

I felt the color rise to my cheeks. The thought of him being the son of one of the staff never occurred to me. "Oh." I said embarrassedly.

"I never married." He said quietly. "And  I certainly have no children."

I nodded my head, praying my cheeks were not as red as it felt.

"Well...do you have any family?"

He didn't reply. He simply began stuffing his chicken into his mouth, occasionally stopping to slurp at his walnut and mushroom soup.

I left it alone for a long time, until finally I couldn't take it anymore.  " I need to ask you something."

He sighed deeply, but looked up from his plate. His greasy paws resting on either side of him.

I finished chewing my food, and wiped my mouth with my napkin. "You never told me what became of my father."

To my surprise, he rolled his eyes, which is the most human thing I have  seen him do yet. "I put him in one of my carriages, and sent him to town." He said simply, sliding his dishes away from him. "To find a doctor."

My eyes burned into his. Could it be possible that he did such a thing for my father? It felt like some twisted joke he was playing on me. "Don't lie to me." I barely whispered,.

The Beast leaned into his chair, over his plate, and looked me square in my face. "I am a lot of things, Belle." He said in a clear voice. "I am secluded. I am hot tempered, ill-mannered, and controlling." He stood up from his chair to his full height. "But...I am not, nor will I ever be a filthy liar." He stared me down. " Your father is safe. He was given medical attention. And Lord willing, his health will be restored soon." He stood there, quietly looking me over, until he finally lost his nerve and turned to leave.

"Wait." I stood up  abruptly.  I was breathing heavily now for some reason. I couldn't stop the tears from running down my cheeks.

But he was gone, and so were my answers. I gasped for air as I tried to calm myself down. Father! I held my head in my hands, crying desperate. "Oh Papa." I said to myself, sinking back down into my seat. "I pray your alright."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't even realize I was asleep until I woke up with a throbbing pain in my neck. My head was rested in the crook of my arm and my hair was sprawled out over the edge of the chair. I looked around and saw that the castle was almost completely dark. Outside the window, I saw that the last of the sun's rays were lighting up the sky.