Chapter Five

12/4/16

12/4/16

"WHY DIDN'T YOU tell me you were going down to Easton with Chase for break?" Grayson scolds me over the phone.

I shrug through I know she can't see me. "I don't know it was last minute," I explain lamely. I want to tell her about pretending to be Chase's girlfriend for his family. She's my best friend. My confidant, the closest damn thing I have to a sister. But I know she would disapprove of what I'm doing, but what she doesn't know is that this isn't only about Chase anymore. It has to do with his brother as well, and that's a part I'm just not ready to discuss yet. Even to my best friend.

"Well if I would've known I would've joined you down there for break," Grayson declares quickly.

"You needed to go home and spend time with your family Gray," I point out with a small shake of my head. She needs this time with her family and Cale. Time away from Easton, away from everyone else, and just be in her hometown with her boyfriend and loving family.

"Yeah, I guess," she relents quietly.

"How are your parents? I miss your mother," I question attempting to change subjects.

"You miss her cooking," she laughs correcting me.

"You're not wrong about that," I agree as a smile plays across my lips.

"But she's good," she admits. "I think she's really enjoying having us all home at the same time for once," she tells me. For a long time Grayson hid from her family, and after last summer she's been trying to be better about it and make sure to put her family first. Of course Cale helps always pushing her to do what's best for not only herself but for her family.

"How is it with Cale?" I pause then add, "And Bailey?" I know things weren't always easy with her sister, and she didn't help matters last summer in any way. But sometimes things have to go to complete shit for us to finally turn them around, and that's exactly what Grayson did. Now, now they are closer then ever. Their relationship finally growing in the direction my best friend always wanted.

"My parents love Cale," Grayson confirms bringing me back to the question I asked her. "That's never changed," she notes. "But I think it's still an awkward situation for my parents to handle to see me dating Bailey's ex-fiancé. But at the end of the day they can see how well we work together," she says.

"I was the number one supporter of the I Hate Cale Hasting Club," I tease though the statement is entirely true. "And I even love you two together G," I assure my best friend.

"I know you were," she acknowledges with a chuckle. "Also Bailey is good, she brought her boyfriend Greg so it's been great," she adds.

"How long have they been dating again?" I ask, knowing that Bailey's relationship with her boyfriend has been her longest one so far. As well as the most positive one in her life, which she deserves more then anyone could know.