The Venom of Life

I helped Dante lug Vergil into the living room. He was heavy to me, lightweight to Dante. He sat on the couch, all energy drained from him.

"What was that? How did you do that? What about Mun-"

He held up his hand and cut me off, "Please, let me regain the strength to tell you this. Let me sleep."

Suddenly embarrassed, I nodded, backing away as he swung his legs onto the couch.

"Do you need anything, Vergil?" Dante asked.

Vergil shook his head slowly, eyes closed. There was a thundering of footsteps as Jasmine and Kat came rushing down the stairs. Kat ran up to Dante, wrapping him in a hug. She began to say something, but Dante cut her off, pointing at Vergil.

"Shh, let him sleep. He used the last of his energy on an outburst."

Kat nodded, releasing Dante. Jasmine wrapped me in a hug, to which I protested violently.

"NEVER do that again, Cassi. You scared the Hell out of me."

"Sorry." I pointed to Vergil, "He used all of his energy. Let him sleep."

Jasmine jumped back, pointing at Vergil, "Isn't that the man who had kidnapped you?"

I shook my head, "No, that was a demon disguised as Vergil. I could tell from the red eyes."

Jasmine nodded. Dante had his hand in the small of Kat's back, smiling at Jasmine, "Jasmine. How have you been?"

Jasmine shrugged, following us into the kitchen, "Pretty good. Family problems, if you get me."

"Wait," I said, holding up my hand, "Dante, you know Jasmine?"

He hesitated, glancing at Jasmine for support. Jasmine sighed.

"Cassi... there's something we have to tell you. I've known Dante for a greater period of my life. We are pretty good friends."

"How?"

"Cassi," Jasmine said, glancing over at Dante, "I am Nephilim."

*                    *                    *

"How are you Nephilim? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I have been placed into this family long ago. My dad died months before I was born at the hands of Mundus. My mother died during child birth. My adopted parents didn't know it, but their child died minutes after it was born. I was replaced with it. They never knew."

"So, you've had a secret all of your life, and you didn't bother to tell me?"

"I couldn't. I'm sorry, but I had no choice. You would think I was joking, or worse, you'd spread it. That couldn't happen."

"Dante," I said, turning to him, "Does Vergil know?"

He shrugged, "I don't think he even knows Jasmine. Let alone that she is Nephilim."

I sank down on my bed in the basement, "Oh."

"Yeah..."

I understood completely. I wasn't mad, just a little confused. How come I couldn't tell? Of course! I had no idea that the Nephilim even existed. I had nothing to look for.

"Are you mad at me?"

I shook my head, "No. Why would I be?"

She looked away, "Because I never told you."

"You had good reasons."

Jasmine stayed still, but changed the subject, "I'm thirsty. Can we get something to drink?"

"Sure." I led her up the stairs into the kitchen. Dante was drinking a beer at the counter. Vergil was still asleep on the cough, breathing deeply with his arms across his chest. I pulled out an orange soda for Jasmine, grabbing a root beer for myself.

Dane nudged me, "Hungry yet?"

I shrugged, "A little"

He nodded, "I'm gonna order pizza. What does Vergil like on pizza?"

"I don't know."

He nodded, walking over to the couch. He poked Vergil, "Vergil." He whispered.

Vergil didn't even stir. He did it again. Nothing. Dante climbed on the couch, a knee on each side of Vergil's legs. He grabbed him by the collar of the shirt, shaking him violently awake.

"VERGILLLLLLLLLL!!!" he screamed as he shook him.

"What the hell?!" Vergil yelled, rolling over and pinning Dante to the floor, "You have better have a good reason for waking me up like that, Dante."

"What do you like on your pizza?"

That scary stare I had gotten from Vergil before with the white sheep joke flashed again. I wanted to stop them, but that facial expression scared the crap outta me.

"Dante. Does it look like I care what I like on pizza?"

"Hey, at least I asked."

Vergil released him, standing. He looked better than an hour before, but his blood shot eyes said that he didn't feel any better.

His hair, once slicked back, hung loosely in his face. He pushed it out of his eyes.

"I, am going to go to my room to sleep. Wake me up, and I will murder you, chop your body into small pieces, and bury you in the backyard."

I watched him walk up the stairs, and turned back to Dante. He was on the phone, ordering pizza. Jasmine had run to the bathroom. The door bell rang. I hurried to the door, freezing at the sight. Jesse stood, framed in the doorway.

I gasped, "You."

He smiled, "Did you miss me?"

Suddenly, he barreled forwards rolling me back into the house. Dante was in a different room on the phone, Jasmine was in the bathroom, and Vergil was in bed. I had no help

Oh, give me a break! Is all of this life fighting?!

I struggled as he  pinned me. He was inhumanly strong. I realized why in a heartbeat. He drew back his lips to reveal fangs. Jesse was a Vampire.

"VERGIL!!!!!" I screamed, pushing him upwards.

He ripped my neck to the side, exposing my jugular vein. And then what happened next, would change my life forever.

Jesse's fangs sank into my neck.