My New Home

We began moving that very night. Vergil was a huge help, Helping me load the couch, and my dresser. All I needed after that all I needed to haul was my bed. I didn't have a TV, or a computer, or anything else for that matter. I literally hated technology. All I had was a flip phone.

He was fairly cheerful, fully healed. His wound had scarred, and he had all of his strength back. I was packing the clothes that I had left.

"So Vergil, how old are you exactly?"

He smiled, "Twenty-three. How bout you?"

"Twenty-two. Then why is your hair white?"

"It isn't white."

"Huh? It looks white to me"

"Actually," he corrected, "It's a very light platinum blonde. It just appears white in the different lighting. I bet when you first found me, it looked blonde? Am I right?"

"Yes. It fooled me."

He chuckled, tightening the ratchet strap on the load in my truck. We climbed in, him riding passenger. Buttons settled on his legs.

"So... am I staying the night at your house?"

He nodded, "Yes, I cannot risk anything. You can have my bed."

"No, I will NOT take your bed. No, I prefer the couch, please."

He gave me a funny look, "Why not? I stole yours."

"Yes but that was a different story. You were injured. You needed sleep, and the bed was the best for you."

He nodded. "As you wish."

I drove to the house, hammering him with questions about his world with Butts on Vergil's lap. He explained to me what Limbo was. It was the Demon world. It collided with our world in places he called rifts. He could easily travel through both realms and fight demons. But being Nephilim, he could easily be dragged through, so I wasn't supposed to be surprised if he all of a sudden disappeared before my eyes.

I pulled into his driveway and Dante helped us unload. I chose the guest room in the basement.

"Why the basement?" Vergil had asked.

And I replied with, "Because I have sensitive eyes. Sunlight really hurts."

"Oh. Sorry if I crossed any boundaries."

"How did you cross any boundaries. There aren't any to cross."

He blushed.

"You're not a people person, are you?"

He shook his head, "I never have been. I don't know why; I've always been around them."

I shrugged, "Me neither. I always get nervous around people."

Smiling, he looked away. I blushed again for no reason. I finally could admit it. I have a crush on him.

I followed him up the stairs, he kept turning around to look at me, and kept engaged in our conversation about him.

"So Vergil, what do you do for a living?"

"Um, well, nothing special at the moment. But I know how to hack. I created a system for hacking, and I made money on it. Uh, but that's just about it."

"Hmm, So did you think about that as a child? What was it like as a child?"

He gave me a pained expression, "I'd rather not talk about my childhood."

I dropped my gaze, "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to bring up any memories."

He smiled, "It's okay."

I felt REALLY bad now. I hated making people feel horrible like that. He was silent for the rest of the walk upstairs and that proved that I had crossed a line.

He showed me where the extra blankets were and then pillows.  I grabbed one of each, placing them on the couch. MY couch. It made a great improvement to the empty living room. I sank down, pulling the pillow into my lap. I was kind of nervous, knowing about how people can get raped, but Vergil didn't seem like that kind of guy. But didn't they all seem like that? Keeping my pocket knife close by tonight.

"Where did Dante and Kat go?"

"To get supper. It'll probably be pizza. If I know Dante correctly."

We sat there uncomfortably for a while, striking up a conversation every now and then. But it was so awkward. And the tension could be cut with a knife.

Soon Dante and Kat returned, and with them they brought sausage and pepperoni pizza. Vergil gave me the I told you so look, and we dug in.