His Secret

I woke early the next morning with a cramp in my neck. I sat up, rotating my neck to get it to pop.

I stood, walking to the bathroom to brush my teeth and to pee. I brushed my hair and walked up the stairs groggily. I quietly opened the door, earning a protective bark from Buttons who jumped at me.

"Shh! Butts, it's just me."

She silenced, tail wagging madly. Luckly she didn't wake Vergil. His breaths were still even and his neck was turned to the right. The blanket was pulled up to his waist and his left hand rested on his well developed abs.

As quietly as I could, I pulled a clean change of clothes from my dresser. With Buttons on my heels, I made my way to the shower. I walked in closing and locking the door. I still didn't trust this man.

I undressed and showered quick, eager to get the shopping over with. I pulled on my jeans and blue shirt, brushing my hair.

I put my clothes in the hamper in the laundry room, fishing Vergil's clothes from the washer. The blood stains had came out and they looked fairly clean. I checked his size, hanging the shirt and coat up.

I walked up to my room, opening the door. I walked up to him, gently shaking him awake. He jumped, looking at me groggily.

"Hey, I've gotta go to the store, okay? Don't get out of bed.  I'll leave Buttons in here to protect you."

He closed his eyes, chuckling, " I don't need any protection."

He looked me in the eyes and I could see he wasn't kidding.

"When I return, I'll change the bandage."

He nodded and dozed off again.

I walked outside, clambering into my blue ford pickup truck and started it. I drove to the grocery store, grabbing some vegetables and fruits and some other essentials.

After paying, I dropped the groceries off at the truck amd walked over to Shopko. I didn't know what kind of shirts he wore, so I just grabbed some long sleeves. I couldn't get any pants for him because I didn't know what size he wore and I did NOT want to ask or look.

I left, tossing the clothes on the passenger seat. The drive home was quiet and boring. I thought of the strange man - Vergil - and what had happened. I decided I would ask him when I got home.

* * *

"Vergil?"

He stirred, weakly raising his head to look at me. "What time is it?"

"Almost noon." I stepped in the room with the first-aid kit.  "I need to change your bandage. Will you permit me to do that?"

He nodded, sitting up. He looked tired, but his pigment was returning. He smiled at me as I sat on the edge of the bed.

"So, tell me about your... sword fight. "

He hesitated, then heaved a breath, "Can I trust you?"

I gave him a funny look, "Uh Yeah. Why?"

"This is gonna be outrageous, but you have to believe me. I swear it is all true."

I stared at him. What was he talking about?

"Ok, I'll just start. I am a Nephilim.  I am half angel, half demon. I have a brother,  Dante. He too is Nephilim. I have an arch enemy, Mundus. He is a demon god. Well, Dante and I thought we killed him. Guess not. I told him we needed to protect you humans. But Dante thought I wanted to rule the world. We fought. Dante killed me. I went to hell, and fought my way through. My mother guided me through, and I picked up some more power. But I escaped before I could become corrupted. I used to be able to heal very quickly. But my amulet permits me to do that, and I lost it somewhere. And that is why my condition isn't getting any better any faster."

I stared and him, my jaw dropped. He stared at me with a well? look, "Vergil?"

"Yeah? "

"How much blood did you lose?"

He sighed with disappointment.

"Wait, are you serious?"

"Yes! Why would I lie to you?"

I was shocked. So hard to soak up...

"You have to believe me. I can prove it to you when I find my amulet. "

I silently finished wrapping the bandage around his broad chest. Standing, I silently packed the first-aid kit and walked to the door.

"You don't believe me?"

I turned to face him, "I think you need more sleep. If you are having hallucinations, I suggest you go to the hospital."

He heaved a breath, swinging his legs from the bed. He stood shakily, drawing himself up to full height, "If I was human, I wouldn't be able to do this. I would still be weak. I would be dead. Dante's sword went straight through my heart. You could have easily just left me there, I may have died. But you were there at the right time. And I appreciate what you have done for me. If you would like me to, I can leave."

I stared at him as he walked up to me, defying human strengths of injury. He should be so weak still...

"No, Vergil. Look, would you believe someone who walked up to you and said something outrageous like that?"

"Honestly? No. I guess you have all the right to think me mental."

I swallowed, "Prove it to me, and I will believe you."

He nodded, and staggered back to the bed.