Chapter 1: Lilith Black

Lilith Black

I tapped my blue pen against the glossy wooden table, watching the hands of the clock, slowly ticking each second, almost as if it were mocking me that 5 minutes could be an eternity. Stupid clocks. I spun my brown hair around my finger and quietly yawned, my eyes slowly drooping, i felt my body relax into my seat, my mind let go of all my thoughts, oh i felt like i was in hea-

BRRRRRRRRRRRRING

And, there went the bell, destroying my precious sleep, i grumbled and stood up, heading towards the doors to last period, getting pushed and shoved by tall teenagers rushing to class. Disadvantage of being this short. I squeezed through the tight crowds and let out a breath of relief when i was free. God, i could not deal with tight spaces. I ran to my locker to get my text books out and looked to the side and rolled my eyes when i saw my twin sister, Lissa, leaning against the bleachers outside with her boyfriend, Dave Gregory. 

A scoff of disgust rolled off of my tongue. I honestly don't even know what the world sees in that spoilt brat. Sure, i mean, he was ridiculously good looking - like god worthy, but since i knew he was playing 3 girls at the moment, including my sister, he wasn’t so hot anymore. Now he was just a tiny little piece of shit in my way. Trust me, I’ve tried, countless times to tell my sister that he was playing her, but she always thought that i was "Oh, Lil, don't be so jealous! Be happy for me, for once. Just because you don't have the hottest guy in the world dating you." Yes, her exact, filthy words. God people in love were so annoying.

Lissa was the golden-child in my family; she got my mother’s good looks, slimness, tallness, and blue eyes with blonde hair, confidence and energy. She was school captain in primary school, became popular in freshmen year, became head cheerleader in grade 11, and became one of Dave Gregory’s girlfriends that year as well. While I had my father’s shortness, brown hair and blue eyes, curves and was quiet. In freshmen year I met one friend, Zachary, who left to move states two years ago, I became the library’s most valued member, debating team captain in year 10 and an ex-ice-skater. That’s the only sport I have really played.

I turned away from them and grabbed my equipment for drama class and shut it, casting a disappointed glance at my sister's direction and walked off. She was so blinded in love; i never believed that saying until i saw it happen to my sister. She was choosing her supposed 'love' for Dave rather than me. Classy.

I walked to class and saw a semi-circle of people already in the center of the class talking and laughing loudly with their phone's out. Clearly our drama teacher wasn't here yet, whoever she was. Today was the first day back after summer break, so we hardly knew who our senior teachers were, apart from some minor subjects. I sat on the side of the room, leaning on the cold bricks, staring at the stage in front of the class and smiled. My dream was to become an actress, i remembered watching my first play with my dad, and said to him, "I want to be her when I’m a big girl!", I was so excited and determined. He enrolled me into acting classes immediately and I’ve been doing it since.

I could just imagine myself playing lead roles in plays, auditioning for castings in movies...god, how brilliant would that be. But i knew i had a lot of competitors. There were so many great actors in my school; they were all confident, attractive and talented. Ticked all the boxes. I admit, I like to think that I am talented, but I knew for a fact that I wasn’t the most prettiest and confident person in the world. I just never had a reason to just, you know, be a Kady in mean girls and change for popularity or speak up to the world. What was the point when I could be shy and quiet now, and one day I hoped I would burst my bubble of insecurities and become a super-star one-day.

“Put your phones away! You guys are seniors now, you should know the rules!” Chastised a female voice. I glanced up and saw a new teacher and inwardly shot myself, she was going to make everybody introduce him or herself. I hated this part, all attention was on you when this happened, it only lasted a few seconds though, it felt like an hour. I never got stage fright when I was acting, but when I wasn’t in my zone, I’d freak out. Like now for instance, as I have jinxed myself. She puts us all in random seats, holding a sheet in her hand with all our names in two columns; she had paired us with someone.