My four pups and I : Chapter 8

Nadeen’s POV

It’s been almost a week since I last saw Adam. But I’ve had no control of how much he’s on my mind. With all the gifts he’s sent and Trevor’s inexplicable obsession with whom he calls my “true love”, it’s rare that I don’t speak or think about Adam. Like right now for instance.

“Really he’s a helpless romantic, when you think about it.” Trevor says casually, while drying a baby bottle with a washcloth. I shake my head a bit and chuckle, handing him a wet plastic plate.

“What?” He asks smiling with an eyebrow up, drying the dish. I shrug and scrub a small bowl.

“If I wouldn’t know better, I’d think YOU were in love with Adam. He’s all you talk about.” I giggle, smirking. He looks at me for a moment, then burst out laughing hysterically.

“Ew, that’s disgusting! Liking my own brother that way. Ha ha I can’t believe you’d think that.” I’d been laughing along with him, but it’s cut short when I process what Trevor’s said. The gasping noises halt as my male friend notices what he’s told me. He’s got this “deer caught in the head lights” look and awkwardly scratches the back of his neck.

“So, you love him. I knew it!” He fakes excitement, dodging the subject.

“What did you just say?” My voice is low and threatening. I slowly step forward and he looks at me apologetically, putting his hands up in surrender.

“That I knew you lo-“He begins explaining but I cut him off.

“I’m not stupid Trevor!” I yell throwing my hands in the air. They accidentally hit the counter and all of the clean dishes fall to the floor, making a loud “bang!” sound. My napping pups all wake up crying due to the ruckus, making the walls shake. I bend down on my knees and pick up the mess. Trevor crouches to help but my glare stops him from acting on it.

“Why didn’t you tell me that Adam’s your brother!?” My tone’s harsh and I stand up. His words stumble as he tries to think of an excuse. I leave Trevor behind and go check on my crying children. I lift Joel, who’s crying the hardest and he grabs onto my shirt frightened. My baby’s teary eyes look up to me desperately and I hug him gently.

“Don’t you think I had a right to know?” I whisper, scowling and turn my head towards the door as Trevor enters. His eyes are guilty and he looks down ashamed. Trevor sooths Vincent and Layla, while Gabe lies back down to sleep at the lack of danger. Joel falls back into a peaceful slumber and I gently put him in his crib. I bump my head to the side, signalling that we take the discussion outside. He nods and I leave the door slightly open behind us. We move into the living room and I paste along side the couch, while Trevor sits. His body’s tense and his eyes watch my every move, back and forth, back and forth, as if I’ll suddenly attack him. I try to wrap my head around what I’ve just learned. I unconsciously crack my fingers, a habit I have when I’m thinking.

“So let me get this straight,” I begin and stand still before him. “You’re Adam’s brother and Adam’s my mate. I’ve been pouring my heart out to you, revealing my secrets, trusting you. And all this time you haven’t once thought of telling me?” My voice is disturbingly calm but my words are spoken with sharpness.

“Well, I um, I honestly thought of telling you but, I uh…” I interrupt his mumbling once a thought occurs to me.

“Does Adam know about this? Did he put you up to it? Is that why you’ve been so interested in our relationship?” His expression is guilt ridden and his head falls followed by his shoulders. I take in a sharp breath as if I’d been stabbed and step back.

“Wait, have you been telling him everything?” I ask softly but accusingly and wait frightened by what he way say. He looks up with an apologetic look and says two words that confirm my fear.