Mutation

I woke up to find that I was the last one in the library. I checked everywhere just to be sure, then I went into the hallway. I could hear people talking, I walked down the stairs and saw Daniel and Jessica arguing,

"She can't stay here." Jessica told Daniel.

"She's not infected." Daniel argued. "She's a nurse, she'd know. And she probably has more information about the zombies that we could use."

"What if she lied?" Jessica pointed out. "What if she said that so we wouldn't just chuck her back out with them?"

"What are you two arguing about?" I interrupted.

"Some woman climbed the fence last night." Jessica informed me. "She claims to be a nurse."

"Jessica, she just wants to be safe and survive this nightmare." Daniel said, I nodded in agreement.

"Ugh." She shook her head. "What if she's infected? Been bitten?"

"I've been bitten." I reminded her.

"Yeah but you're immune like me." Jessica made it seem like a god send.

"So what's your problem?" She glared at me.

"Ugh, fine she can stay."

"She was going to stay anyway." I turned to Daniel. "Where is she?"

"In the offices back there." He pointed to the Bursars.

"Imma go talk to her." He shrugged before following Jessica out of the Cromby. I walked down the hallway and into the small office. She looked like hell, she was scared, suppose everyone is. "Hi." I greeted.

"You're going to send me back out there, aren't you?" I shook my head with a small smile.

"No." She let out a sigh of relief, before getting out of the chair and hugging me.

"Thank you. Thank you." She cried.

"There's just one thing?" She released me and sat back in the chair.

"Anything." I gave a slight nod.

"What do you know of the infection?" She let out a deep breath.

"It's highly contagious. The new Flu evolved into it and only 33% of the people immune to it are immune now."

"What about the other 66%?" I asked her, scared that I might become one of those things.

"Well 2% become carriers and the other 64%... they mutate. Into horrible creatures."

"How do you know if you're mutating?"

"I heard about what happened to you. You'd have changed by now. But I think you're a carrier." I nodded, my hope fading.

"Why do you think that?"

"Your veins are darker than normal and your eye has a small blood-shoot." I nodded.

"So long as you don't share saliva or blood with anyone you'll be okay." She put her hand on my arm, trying to make me feel better.

"Anything else?"

"Dublin and Belfast are badly hit. Mallusk and Templepatrick are the worst hit communities though. And it isn't cross-species."

"Cross-species?" I asked.

"It won't affect animals or birds."

"Whoop for them." She laughed a little before leaving the office.

So I'm a carrier now. Great. I sat in the office for awhile after she left. I wondered what it was like over in England, hoping they were safer and more prepared than us. I took out my phone and I still had service. I looked at my phone with bewilderment. I got out of my chair and went to find the others. When I did they all looked better than yesterday.

"Guys. Have you checked your phones?" Everyone looked at me.

"Mark, the signals would be dead. They're useless." Lauren replied.

"Check them." I nodded with a smile. Victoria took out her phone and check.

"Full." Everyone looked at her and then they all checked theirs. "Shouldn't it be dead though?" Victoria's long curly hair had to be brushed back so she could see me.

"Exactly."