Chapter 2

Destiny

I taped up the last box and plopped down on my bed with a huge sigh. We were leaving in two hours and I was not ready to say goodbye to my parents. There was a knock at my door and my Dad popped his head in, "Hey, D. Come on downstairs. Your Mom and I want to say our goodbyes." I nodded as I dragged my sorry ass up and jogged down the stairs. There was a living room full of the pack warriors, all were like uncles to me. I passed around for hugs and teary eyed goodbyes. Finally, the doorbell rang. It was time. I hugged my parents one last time before being loaded in the van with ten other teens and Alpha Kane.

The drive seemed to last forever, but I wasn't complaining, the view was great, lush forests, sparkling waters, I wanted to run. Corey and I played car games the whole way there, most of the others slept. We finally arrived and I was grateful to stretch my limbs, I hated car rides. We all followed Alpha Kane and filed through registration before being lead to our rooms. My room was small, one tiny bed and a small bathroom with a stand-up shower. It did have a window, though. I was glad for that. They called all of us for dinner, we were only allowed to interact with our pack members, it keeps things fair.

That night, I tossed and turned. Sleep wasn't happening. Breakfast was, again with only our pack, we were allowed to run during our allotted times. I just wanted this to be over. Finally, it was time, the King stepped out in front of our pack to give his rules. "OK, Redwood pack, the rules are simple, Females, you are to run until you are caught by a male. He must mark you immediately. The mating is left up to you and your mate to decide, but you must be marked, no exceptions. Males, simply catch a female and mark her on the spot. Now, no one is allowed to hurt their mates, no fighting, just be gentle. Now, let the chase begin." He sounded the alarm and I was off. I ran for all I was worth, dodging trees, bushes, anything in my way. I thought maybe if know one found me that I wouldn't have to do this.

I watched the sun move through the sky and I had heard people but I had seen no one. Night was beginning to fall and I was starting to get tired. I stopped to rest, then I heard it, footfalls. Nope, I climbed the tree, it was huge and thick with leaves. I slowed my breathing and listened. "Little mate, I have been chasing you all day." A deep voice rumbled through the forest and right through me. Wow, what the actual fuck? He sounded like a man, not a boy. "I smelled you as soon as I entered the forest, your scent spoke to me and I knew I had to have you. Don't be afraid, I will never hurt you." I scoffed, me? Afraid? "I will treat you like a queen." That did it, I was not going to be some pampered princess. "Look, pal, I am not afraid of anyone, I just have no desire to be some over protected, weak housewife that some egotistcal male wants to be barefoot and pregnant in his fucking kitchen all the time."

He chuckled, "I knew I would like you. Little mate, I am a warrior and I would expect no less from my mate. I can not always be at her side and would hope she could hold her own. Can you at least come down and talk to me?" I mulled it over for a moment. "I promise not to touch you, I would just like to talk to you, face to face, please." I sighed and leaped down to the ground, there was no face to face, it was more like face to chest, he was enormous. He was at least 6 foot seven, short brown hair, deep brown eyes, tanned skin, very muscular, like a damn wrestler, and when he smiled at me, he had dimples. Well, fuck me.

"I would, but I promised to play nice, Little mate." My eyes snapped to his as I realized I had said that last part out loud. He chuckled, "My name is Beau." I smiled back, "Destiny." I eyed him for a second, "You don't look eighteen and you are huge, what are you?" He laughed, "Well, you sure don't beat around the bush, do you? I am not eighteen, I'm twenty-one and I'm a bear." My eyebrows shot up, "What? Why?" He shrugged, "My father got sick and I had to take care of him and when he died, I had to take of a few things before I could go after a mate. It seems that Fate was working in my favor, since I wouldn't have met you." I rolled my eyes, "Look, Beau bear, I am sorry about your Dad, but I don't want a mate this way. I want to mate for love and I want to stay close to my pack and family. I'm a wolf, we need a pack." He grinned, "My pack is a mix, we have bears, wolves, foxes, and humans. Where is your pack? Maybe we are close." I sighed, "Oregan, Redwood pack." He grinned, "We are the Oak Hollow pack, only about an hours drive from Redwood, see, it's fate, Little mate."

I eyed him for a moment, then smirked. "You want me? You gotta catch me, thems the rules, Bear." With that I shifted and ran. I heard his laugh from behind me as I ran. Then, I heard a roar, he shifted and was tearing up the forest behind me. I chuckled and kept on running. Until I ran right into trouble in the form of a pack of rouges. I came to a stop and eyed the four rabid wolves, they looked at me like I was their next meal. I growled and they lunged at me. The first one came head on, going straight for my throat. I slightly turned and body slammed him to the ground before ripping out his throat. I was ripped of him by a set of teeth to my shoulder. I slammed him into a tree, causing him to yelp and let go. I clawed him across the face and ripped out his throat. The other two were slowly circling me, licking their lips. Then, they charged.

I ran at the one on the left and slammed into him, knocking him down while the other jumped on my back. He bit into my back, between my shoulders and shook his head, tearing my flesh. I bit back a yelp and threw myself backwards on to the ground, smashing him. The other wolf got up and went to jump me again, but a large brown paw swiped him and sent him flying into a tree. I quickly jumped and spun on the wolf under me, ripping out his throat as the big, brown, bear ended the other wolf quickly. He turned to me and melted into Beau, a very naked and very hot Beau. He ran to me, "Shift back, Little mate."