Chapter Three: A Promotion

Chapter Three
A Promotion 

I yawned my way to my work desk.

     "Good morning, Lorry," I said flatly.

     "Oh my God, Ava, have you heard?" Lorry stood up from her seat and pushed her geek glasses up her nose.

     I winced nonchalantly.  "Probably not," I said.  "What's it about?"

     "Tiffany Heartwick has got a rock on her finger yesterday!" she whispered in alarm.

     "Well," I raised my brows.  "Congratulations to her.  Gosh.  I can't wait until she shows it off--"

     "Ava!!!" Tiffany came around to our cubicle with a huge smile on her face that pretty much showed all of her teeth.

     "Speaking of which," I muttered.

     "Oh my gosh!  You won't believe this."  She held my shoulders as she spoke.

     "Oh my gosh, I'm sure I will," I said tediously in fake exhilaration.

     "Johnny asked me to marry him!" she said elatedly.

     "Whopee."

     "Can't you just die?!" she fanned her face with her hand that has the engagement ring on.

     "Why not you die?"

     Her excitement stopped and her hand froze in mid-air.  "What?" she said ominously.

     I brightened up.  "Oh nothing, nothing, no, really.  I was just saying that anyone would die for a proposal just like yours."

     Her beaming smile came back and she resumed fanning her face.  "I know, right?" Finally, she left.  Our eyes trailed after her as she trotted down to another working area to show off her ring.

     "She's so lucky," Lorry sighed.

     "Indeed, she is," I agreed dully.  I turned to sit on my Aeron chair.

     "So, how did your Valentine's Day go?" Lorry asked as she followed me to my desk to staple some papers.

     "I watched him play video games," I said as I helped her staple.

     "What?" she said implausibly.  "How could you stick to a guy like that?"

     I rested my back on my chair and wrinkled up my nose for a thought.  "I don't know, Lorry."  I relaxed.  "I guess I just can't let go of Matt."

     "But, why?" she demanded as she arranged a pile of papers on my desk.

     "I just..." I hesitated.  "I just can't, you know," I said helplessly.

     "There are so many guys in the world!" she motioned exasperatedly.  "Why stick to a jerk like that?"

     "Hey," I said defensively.  "Matt is not a jerk.  He just...he just lacks the sweet factor, okay?"

     She raised both her hands in surrender and rolled her eyes.  "Whatever you say."

     My eyes watched Lorry as she went back to her desk just behind me.

     I groaned and went back to work on my own table.  It's the same thing that they ask me during Valentine's Day:  "Why, Ava? Why?! Why would you stick to a guy like that?"  Somehow, the question is almost close to "Why, Ava? Why?! Why would you endure the long-suffering hours of being a flyer distributor?"

     This job is the only thing that keeps me fed and sheltered.  If I don't do well with this job, I might as well end up in the streets.  It's the same thing with Matt.

     Well, almost.

     Letting go of Matt is completely unreasonable.  He's been faithful to me and he makes me laugh with his date ideas.  Plus, I can't let go of the one guy who has loved me for who I really am.  I have always secretly dreamed of getting married one day and have my own family and ending up with Matt doesn't seem like a bad idea.  I don't care if I don't get the most amazing Valentine's Day every year.  What matters to me is that we have accepted each other's flaws and have gotten comfortable with each other's company and that's all that counts.

     "Ava!"

     Great.

     His highness has called for my presence.

     "Yes, sir," I forced a delighted smile on my face.

     He walked over to our cubicle as he spoke with a new bulk of flyers in his hand.  "You start with Walmart then to that convenience store by the corner on the next street, got that?"

     I nodded once as I took the leaflets with my two hands.  "Got it."  I turned to Lorry.  "Come on, Lor."

     I took off my brown jacket and grabbed my black body bag.  We marched down to the convenience store by the corner of the next street and dropped off the flyers on the counter in my skinny jeans and rider boots.  Lorry trailed after me in her green cardigan worn underneath a long floral dress, holding another stack of the same flyers given by Mr. Burghe.

     "Hi, Ava," Robi, the cashier greeted me in his yellow baseball cap with the store logo and his blue and yellow overalls.

     "Hello, Robi," I smiled as I returned his greeting.

     He glanced at the new thick stack that I've placed on his counter.

     I crinkled up my nose and made tiny nods.  "Yeah."

     Lorry and I were on our way out when Robi called out after us.  "Have a nice day!"

     "You, too, Robi," I shouted back as we left the store.

     "I really think he likes you," Lorry gushed.

     "Come on, Lorry," I said exasperatedly.  "Being nice is his job or he'll drive his customers away."

     "Whatever.  I really think he likes you," she disregarded my statement.

     We made a long walk to Walmart.  We divided the stack of flyers to be placed on each cashiers.  We walked back to our office and found Tiffany still engrossed with her new ring.  I rolled my eyes and kept my rants inside my head.

     After the long boring hours of work, I finally get to go home.  I made a mental to-do list as I clocked my timecard out.

     Order pizza, watch 21 Jump Street with Haley at the community theater--God, I'll be seeing Channing Tatum again.  It's going to be an awesome night out.

     That was until Mr. Burghe called my name before I could even make my way out of the office.

     "Ava!"

     I turned.  "Yes, sir?"

     "Your past performances have been impressive," he paused as though to consider some thoughts.  "I'm promoting you to the media department."

     "What?" I said unbelievably.

     "Your first task would be to head down to Hollywood this weekend and interview Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum tomorrow morning."  He paused.  "Now, if you don't like the promotion, I could always give it to Lorry--"

     "No, no, no, sir.  I, I love it!  Absolutely!  I mean--" I cleared my throat and composed myself to be calm.  "That would be nice, sir."

     "Very well, then."  He tapped my shoulder twice as though to tell me a job well done as he passed by.