Chapter Two: Yeah Right, I Wish

• Dedicated to Aunt Leslie

Chapter Two

Yeah Right, I Wish 

Don't ask what happened.

     Just don't ask.

     Okay.  Let's just skip the rest of the day and press fast forward and let's just go to the part where a lot of conversation happens, alright?

     So, I came home at five in the evening.  I unlocked the door to our apartment and found my roommate Haley sitting on the couch with a Chinese take-out.

     Haley shifted her eyes from the TV screen which sounded like The Expendables to me.  "So, what did he made you do this time?"

     "Did you order me anything?" I asked as I dropped my keys on the counter.

     "It's right over there by the stove," she pointed.  "And you ignored my question."

     I grabbed the take-out and sat beside her on the black leather couch and opened the rice box.  I took my first spoonful and faced Haley who wore a blank look on her face as she waited for me to speak.

     "He played video games."

     Haley's eyes widen in disbelief.  "Oh no he didn't."

     I nodded in affirmation.  "He did."

     She made a pitiful look.  "Why do you punish yourself?"

     "I just can't let go of him, you know?" I said exasperatingly.

     "Why?" Haley said in a much more frustrating tone.

     It made me think.

     She's right.

     Why, Ava?  Why?!

     "Well," I said thoughtfully. "I don't want to end up alone forever."

     "Oh.  I get it.  You'd rather have the lamest Valentine's Day in the history of Valentine's Days than let cupid struck you another arrow and finally hit the man of your dreams."

      I groaned.  "If cupid would just struck Jason Statham for me," I said as I watched him assassinate Monroe's felons.

     Yeah, right. As if cupid would give me an actor for a boyfriend.