the hunting

When I came home I took a shower and got a bit sleepy. Lay down on the sofa and fell asleep
I woke up at the sound of my cell buzzing.
"Hello" said the unknown voice.
"Who is it?" I asked not exactly fully awaken
"You don't know me too well yet, but you will soon" Started the voice quietly
"What the hell..who is it?"
"I've waited patiently for your move.I couldn't actually believe you' ll be pronounced dead at the scene. But I got certain when I heard that it was because of the gun maintenance. You wouldn't make the same mistake twice... then the closed kasket..." The voice got stronger and louder "No head wound and a closed kasket? Really do you all think IM THAT STUPID Speedle? So you'll see."
There was silence and a constant beeping
I stood with the cell in my hand not able to make any move. Who the hell was this guy? Was he the one who shot me and almost bled me out? And how he got to me? Then I realized what I did yesterday. And understood why the FBI moved me without any information for my boss, and the lab- there was a mole there.
I started to think what to do now. Call the FBI I guess. I found my wallet and the card was there, hidden in a small pocket.
"Hastings" I heard the voice on the other side.
"It's 123443. "
"Wait a moment please." The voice said and then someone continued "Hello? What's going on? "
"I had a call from a man threatening me."
"Did he call you by your real name?"
"Yeah. And added that I will meet him soon. "
"I'm sending somebody to you. Do you have a gun?"
"Yeah. "
"Prepare it and don't open the door. An agent will give you the number 123443. We will relocate you."
"No." I said. "I won't run this time. Not again. You can't make me. "
"You're right. We can't. But you're clever enough to know, that you won't survive not knowing who it is.."
"And you do?"
"Yes. We assume. Did you contact your lab? MD LAB?"
"Yes. I was forced to it. "
"There  you go...what did I tell you, hmm? Never ever!"
"They didn't recognize me. I was under my present name."
"Oh yeah, they surely didn't. That's why you got the call straight ahead and we're having this conversation. Take out your gun and stay until someone comes." He hung up.
I sat amazed. I was shocked. Does this mean there's a mole in the lab? Someone who wants me dead? Why? But I talked only to H... He wouldn't do it. He's the most honest person I know...
I went to the hall and took out my gun from the holster. And what now? Just waiting for the madman?
No. I needed to be sure even if it would be the last thing in my life.
I opened my phone and dialled the cell number I knew by heart.
"Caine". There was the answer.
I couldn't say a single word.
"Hello? "He repeated
I stood in silence.
"Who is it? ....Speed?" He asked a question. "Talk to me please. I know it's you. I don't know how it's possible, but I just know it's you. Please talk to me. If you're calling it means, that something went  wrong."
"Yeah. I need help." I finally whispered
"Where are you?"
"I'm in.... "I stopped. What if the feds are right? if there is the connection?
"I can't say. But I don't know what to do. "
"Did you call the FBI?"
"Yeah. Wait for us. And I've just been threatened. "
"I can't help without knowing where you are."
" But you can check who heard our conversation about a mistake. It was the common line. If you find the guy, I'll be safe."
"I will. I promise. I won't let you down this time."
"Ok. Don't take too long, ok? I'm not sure how much time I have left. "
"How are you? "
"Shaken. I don't want to go thru this once again. I'd rather die, than suffer that much once more".
"Was it a guy or a woman?"
"A guy, I suppose. He got angry at the end in a apecial way. He must have been present at my funeral. He' s someone from the Lab, H. "
"But who...? I know you understand none of us would betray you. But if really it happened strictly after the conversation, it might be someone connected to us... Someone close."
Then I heard the doorbell. "I need to take this, H- there's someone at the door. "
"Don't open Speed. Don't"
"I have to, it may be the FBI agent."
"Be careful."
"I will. "
I went to the door, gun in my hand. I saw a man there. No one I know. Opened the door slightly.
"Yes? "
"I'm 123443"
"Come in."
The man entered. Checked the windows and the back door.
"Pack! Hurry up" He said.
"No. I won't leave again. Tell me what's going on." He looked at me and sighed.
"You're the only one alive, who identified the DNA sample from the Wilsons case, right?"
"Yeah... "
I remembered Wilsons very well. The guy was a big fish in Miami. He's beaten his wife to death and left her to die by the road, like an animal. We connected him to the case after many failures, false alibis, false statements. He was sentenced life in state prison.
"Well he's doing his sentence isn't he?"
"He appealed. The defence wanted to call you as their  witness. Your name appeared in the file and we had a call that there may be a risk of ambush.
It was a quick decision to fake your death, and move you until we find out who was gonna do it. Then we found out, that there are connections at the lab. We started observation,but we're ready to relocate you at once.
And then you were called off from your holidays, by Caine.
All of you were on holidays, but it was you, who got that call"
"I don't believe it was him. Why would he?"
"Why wouldn't? People do such things. For money, for example. "
" No. I don't believe it. He's my best friend. "
"We must be careful and better be going. Take the most important things and off we go".
"No." I sat down. "I'm not going anywhere. If it's H, or anyone from his team, then it's unimportant why. That would mean all that matters to me is gone, and there's no point in fighting anymore. I have nobody, but them. If they betrayed me, then it's no point in running either."
He looked at me carefully. "I understand" he said.
"I don't think you do." I said bitterly
"But I really do. I have no one left. Like you. My family died in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. Wife and two daughters.
I still got no justice since then.
My parents are dead. Have no other family. I work, but nothing keeps me attached to life. That's why I get cases like yours- hopeless."
"You mean..?"
"You really wanna know?"
"Yeah"
"Mate, you're gonna run all your life. They won't ever find the mole. There's only one chance- we'll kill the guy, until he gets you."
"So..."
"So... Can you shoot well?"
"Yeah. Nobody knows I shoot pretty well, cause they consider me more a lab worker than a detective. I use the firearms, but I'm not a fanatic."
"Me too. I mean I'm a great shooter. So maybe we have the chance."
"Do you happen to have a name?"
"Matt. Matt Andrews." He shook my hand
"Tim Speedle. Speed. Nice to meet you."