Chapter 2

I got home to find my dad sitting out in the garage with his guitar, strumming the strings. A new song maybe? If it was then it was coming along beautifully. I walked into the garage and sat down on the cold ground, listening. I closed my eyes and let the sound

flow through my head, making me think. Why was Harry being nice? I had nothing going for me. I wasn't pretty or talented. I had so much I wanted to tell that boy but I couldn't because we're not as close as we used to be. I just couldn't trust him anymore. 

"How was school?" Dad asked me. 

"Eh. Fine. I got smoothie spilled on me by one of those stupid jocks." I told him. 

"Did he spill it on you, or did you drop it." he asked, giving me a look that said 'I know you better than you think, you clutz.'

"I spilled it on me." I whispered. He laughed. "But it's only because they threw a football at me!" I argued back so I wouldn't look stupid for spilling smoothie all over me. 

Dad calmed down a little bit. "How's practice going?" 

"It's going." I nodded. "You will never believe who showed up, though. Harry." I told him. 

"Harry. Harry Styles?" he asked. 

"Yup. I'm thinking of using it against him, maybe embarrassing him in front of the whole school." 

My dad glared at me. "Is that really what you want to be known as Pru?" he asked, sincerely. 

I thought about it. Really, I couldn't care less. But I wasn't about to tell him that. "No." I answered. 

He nodded his head. "Is he any good?" 

"Truthfully, he's bloody amazing. But don't tell him I said that." I told him. 

He smiled at me and looked out in the distance dramatically, as if remembering something. "I remember when you guys were the best of friends." he said. 

"Oh Dad, please don't start." I told him. 

"Honestly I never thought you would be seperable. You were always together. It's my fault you guys aren't friends anymore." he said sadly. 

"That's not true Daddy and you know it. It's Mum's fault. It's not like you planned on getting hurt." 

He looked down at me in sorrow. Then he opened his arms, as if telling me to come to him, so I did and hugged him so tightly, with all that I had in me. 

"You should try to get friends again, Prudence. I don't want to be the one in your way during your senior year. Plus, Sandy's always there if I need her." he told me. 

I nodded my head into his chest, feeling his scruffy beard brushing against my forehead. "Promise me." he ordered. 

"I promise, Daddy." 

"Nothing's fine I'm torn!" 

"No. Don't make it seem like you're using all your breath. You don't need much energy for this song. Nothing's fine I'm torn. I'm all out of faith. I'm already torn..." I sang to give Harry an example, but instead of repeating it he stared at me over the piano in awe.

"Harry, if you don't quit staring at me, I swear to God..." I told him. 

"Can we take a break?"he asked. I look  at the clock on the wall. We had been practicing for 3 hours already. 

"Ya. We're done. I've gotta get home anyways." I started packing up and putting the piano away when Harry grabbed my wrist to stop me. 

"Let's go get something to eat." he said. I glared at his hand on me wrist.