Chapter 18

Lorelai Adams

The parking lot at Merrick Gates high wasn't big enough and I was going to be late if I couldn't find a parking space. I squinted at a possible space but as I drove forward realized it was just a small car. 

Damn it. 

Wait. Could it be? Yes! I found one! As I approached the parking space I noticed a large Hummer was speeding up and was trying to beat me to the space. I sped up and swiftly turned into the space, giving myself a mental pat on the back. I looked closer at the Hummer to see Hunter Richardson glaring at me. I smiled sweetly and stuck my middle finger up at him. What an asshole.

I checked my timetable to see I had English Literature first, thankfully in a classroom I knew. I grabbed my bag and got going to class. I turned as I sensed someone was behind me. 

"May I walk you to class?" Hunter Richardson asked.

I smirked at him. "Not falling for it, Romeo." 

He put the flirty smile back on his face. "Well, I guess I should expect a smart girl like you to see through my crap."

"The weird thing is, all I can see is crap." I retorted, keeping the misleading smile on my face. "You're a close minded, arrogant dick."

"Whoa, what harsh words to come from such a delicate mouth. You've barely known me two seconds."

"Enough to know you're not the kind of guy I'd like to talk to." I stopped outside my classroom. "I'd like to say it was nice talking to you again but quite frankly, it wasn't." 

I left him with a gormless look on his face. What was he up to? I humiliated him yesterday and he didn't seem so friendly when I took that parking space. Surely he'd get it by now that I didn't like him. I scanned the classroom to see if there were any familiar faces when I saw Kimina smiling at me. I smiled back and took the empty desk next to hers.

"Hey, was that Hunter outside?" She asked me.

"Yeah, he was hitting on me." You could hear the confusion in my voice. "Which I find weird because I was literally hitting him yesterday."

Kimina screwed up her face in disgust. "Urgh, he is so sexist. He sees woman as objects."

"You know, I kind of feel bad for him." Kimina gave me a questioning look and I pushed on. "His parents probably hammered these beliefs into him. I bet he doesn't have such a good home life."

"He has a Hummer." Kimina pointed out.

"Yeah, but there's probably more beyond that." 

That was when Mrs Sandford decided to come in and we have to endure an hour of total boredom whilst listening to her drone on about how language is used in books and articles.

I zoned out, scribbling on a piece of paper. I was drawing Mrs Sandford, coloring her dark hair and putting emphasis on her skinny figure. I colored her eyes in black and put a sinister smile on her face. I was just finishing when I suddenly felt and elbow dig me in the ribs. Kimina's elbow. I looked up to see Mrs Sandford standing over me with a frown on her face. I folded up the paper and put it in my bag.

"I think we should have a chat after class, Miss Tyler." 

"Sure, Mrs Sandford." I said with a smile on my face.

For the rest of the lesson, she kept glancing at me. Something about her made me squirm in my seat. Finally the bell rang and the class vacated, leaving me and Mrs Sandford alone. She got straight down to business.

"You're new here, so I'll forgive your ignorance." She didn't look very forgiving. "But for future reference, just know that in class you pay attention."