Chapter 1

I was walking back home from another long day of boredom at high school. It  showed how bad things at home had gotten that I'd still rather be there than home, even if I didn't fit in. It had become awkward between Julie, Nick and I. Fights had become regular. Julie desperately wanted me to take their name but I didn't want to. These fights had gotten so bad, Julie had even confessed that sometimes she wishes she'd never adopted me. I was born Lorelai Adams after my real mother and that's the way I want it to stay. It's one of the few things on the very short list of things I could remember my mother by.

 My determination to take my time getting home was visible. I was taking very small steps and sighed as I saw the house come into view. Might as well get this over with. I walked up to the door and clumsily searched for the key in my purse.

 I opened the door and shot quietly upstairs to my bedroom. Good. No contact with the human species. My iPod was still plugged in to my stereo from where I had forgotten it that morning, so all I needed to do was press play. I was already starting to relax. I picked up my book and continued from where I had left off.

 After a few hours, I wondered why Julie hadn't called me down for dinner. Dinner was always strictly at 6 o'clock and it wasn't like her to cook it late. Julie was ridiculously OCD about this kind of thing. Was she still pissed off with me from the last fight? That would just be pathetic. I got up and went downstairs to the kitchen to find myself something to eat, ending up with a bag of crisps. It was eerily quiet down here. Usually the TV would be on, Julie would be in here humming whilst cooking dinner but Julie wasn't in here. So where the hell was she? I took out my phone ready to call her because I was getting really weirded out.

I walked over to the windows to find that both Julie and Nick's cars were here. “Julie?” I called. No reply. Maybe they had to work late, I decided, but this house was still weird without the background noise. It didn't feel right. I could feel my blood running cold. I walked into the living room to turn on the TV and froze in shock as my brain slowly processed the gruesome sight I was seeing. I had found Julie and Nick. They were on the floor together, limp in a pool of blood.

I screamed in depair and burst into tears, falling to the floor right into the blood. I checked for a pulse but there was nothing from either of them. My stomach gurgled. I tore my eyes from the bloody sight and ran to the kitchen in panic. I could feel the vomit rising. I got to the sink just in time.

I emerged from it, a blubbering mess of sick and tears. The horrible sight was still fresh in my mind. This was it, wasn't it? Back into care I go. I had no relatives and I had just lost another set of parents. Everyone I cared about was gone. I thought I might as well change my name to Death. I crawled over to the table and hoisted myself onto a chair, giving myself a second to breathe, then I grabbed the phone and dialed 911.

 “Help. I need to report two dead bodies.” I sobbed into the phone.

“Calm down ma'am." The female voice on the end replied. "Could you please tell me who you are and how old you are.”

“My name is Lorelai Adams. I am 17 years old. These people were my parents!” I burst out into a fresh lot of tears as once again the situation of what had just happened hit me.

“Okay, Where are you?” The operator replied.

“1285 Saxon Street, Joplin.”

“Okay, someone will be round shortly.” The line went dead.  I just sat on the chair and stared in shock.

All of a sudden, I couldn't stay still. I knew there was something I had to do. I ran upstairs to my room and opened my closet where I started moving things about at the bottom until I found what I was looking for. I pulled out an old wooden box and opened it. It was my memorabilia box, full up with stuff that was once my mother's. My real mother. I pulled out a book that was padlocked. The urge to open this large book was stronger than ever. I hadn't opened this box in years because it made me so sad. I couldn't get anymore distressed than I was right now. I turned the book over and stared at the words on the back.