Chapter 2

Lorelai Adams

The drive to Bobby's began awkward. I didn't know Sam and Dean. They were strangers to me. I was hungry but I didn't want to mention it. Luckily I didn't have to. Dean caught sight of a greasy diner and wanted to get a bacon cheese burger.

“What do you guys want?” He asked us as he pulled into the parking lot.

“You mean we're not going in?” I asked. I was sick of being on the road. I just wanted to get there already. I was so nervous.

“No, we're making good time. Bobby's waiting for us. What do you want?”

“Get me a garden salad.” Sam answered.

Dean looked a little disappointed at him. “Sure thing, Britney. Lorelai?" I couldn't be bothered to pick anything.

“Get me a bacon cheeseburger too.” I replied. Dean smiled at me and got out the Impala to collect the orders. I leaned back into the leather seat and sighed.

“How you holding up?” Sam asked me. I was beginning to like Sam. He had sensitive eyes and he was sincere. Dean hadn't asked me how I was doing, or if I was okay. 

“I'll live." I replied. "Everything just sucks, you know? It's like I was born to be unhappy.”

“Yeah, I know exactly what you mean." I could tell he did. Both of the brothers seemed travelled and worn. "It's part of being a Winchester.” There was a small silence until I broke it.

“Sam, Why do you think my mum didn't tell John that he had a daughter? Surely he would've wanted to know.” It bothered me. I could have been raised with my brothers. I could have been protected from the pain of being invisible to nearly everyone around me. 

“I'm pretty sure she had her reasons." Sam replied, but he looked thoughtful. "Now probably isn't the best time to talk about it.”

“So is someone after me?" I asked him. "Dean mentioned a safe-house. He said I wasn't safe where I was.” I was sure I could get more answers out of Sam than Dean. He just seemed more likely to tell me. The car door opened and Dean sat back into the driver's seat.

“Here you go.” He said as he passed me my burger and Sam his salad. He turned the key in the ignition and raised the volume of his cassette player up further. He needed to upgrade to CDs.

After I had eaten, I felt like my shyness had just melted away. Dean was a likable character, singing along to his tapes loudly and occasionally cracking a joke about the many billboards on the side of the highway. Sam was obviously a fairly sensitive person. You didn't get the impression that he would bite your head off if you spoke to him. I found myself opening up, singing along with Dean to his Motorhead tape whilst Sam shook his head at both our bad singing, laughing.

Before I knew it, we were at Bobby's. It was a run-down scrapyard full of rusty old cars. Dean drove along the driveway which eventually led to an equally run-down house. I thought I might catch a disease. Sam and Dean grabbed my suitcases and motioned for me to follow them. I did, hoping that it was nicer on the inside than it looked on the outside.

Actually, on the inside it was surprisingly cozy, if not a bit dusty.

“Bobby!” Dean shouted as he lugged in two of my suitcases in and pushed them to the side so that Sam, carrying the other two could get in and put the rest there. "We're here!" There were footsteps going up the stairs from the basement. A rough older man wearing a cap came into the hallway and examined me.