{5}

"So you've started an investigation, right, mate?" Ron inquired into Hermione's situation rather heatedly.

They'd all joined for the lunch Harry had set up, and then informed Ron of exactly what had been going on. Of course he knew well enough that the wedding had been called off, but he was not aware, however, that a now very heartbroken man was somewhere in London while his fiancée was in her apartment with not even a clue as to why he was so involved. To say the least, Ron wasn't too pleased that anything like it had happened. In lieu of everything that she'd been through in the past few days, suddenly there was this? Ron truly felt awful for his best friend.

"Of course, Ron, but sometimes it's not that easy."

"Bloody hell, it isn't that easy! You're almost Head Auror! Whoever did this to her needs to be found."

There was a bit of a delay in Ron's voice as he caught Malfoy's gaze quickly. There was animosity between the two purebloods, there always would be, and Harry knew well to ignore the slight implication Ron seemed to be providing in Draco. You would think after seeing him marry his best mate, Ron would forget the transgressions of Draco, but no. The red-head was much too stubborn for that.

"My team is working on it as we speak. They won't allow either of us," Harry stressed his words then, "To be involved because of how close we are to her."

With an obviously dissatisfied look, Ron picked up his glass and drank from it as if attempting to cool his temper.

"I understand, but do they want us to do anything. Surely you're not letting them do all the work, Harry—"

"It's for the best," Pansy finally cut in, the whole table surprised to hear the quiet Slytherin finally speak.

There was an odd mix between Weasley and Pansy, Draco felt... as did Harry. The two themselves didn't notice it, they hardly noticed each other, but it was apparent that the opposing presence sort of mollified them. It was like years of snarls and back-handed comments were replaying guiltily in their minds, so they simply attempted to make nice. Although, it wasn't always nice... sometimes it was just dead silent. In all his years of knowing the boisterous and rambunctiously annoying woman, Draco had never seen her as quiet as she was when Weasley was around. He and his husband had discussed it once; Harry surmised that they simply scared one-another to no end, and Draco couldn't help but agree. It was like that between Harry and him for a while, even.

"We know her best, though," Ron answered quietly, compacting his temper below the surface where it couldn't bubble over.

"I reckon you do, but that's exactly what they need to keep her well right now. Snape is going to need you guys to help win her over and restore her memories," Pansy said.

It was almost touching the way her voice had soothed, but Harry wanted to vomit.

"Alright, you lot, listen. Everything will be okay eventually. My team will figure it out, and sooner than later we'll be attending a bonding? Sound fair?"

Harry smiled at the nods, and even chuckled a bit as Ron attempted to hide his with a glare.

"I reckon she just needs some time," he tried to assure himself, smiling at the waiter who finally brought food to end the awkward talk of Hermione and her unfortunate situation.

Of course, now they could only wonder how the couple was fairing... especially poor Severus.

-