° chapter four °

° four °

Avalon thought they’d never get on the airplane. But when 7:30 finally rolled around (two hours later than the third delay) the storm was finally over and it was safe to fly. Harry gripped her hand as they waited for their tickets to be called.

“Where are you sitting?” Harry asked suddenly, turning to her as the handicapped started to board and families with young children.

“Uh …” Slightly flustered, Avalon pulled out her ticket and bit her lip, “Row R, Seat 13.”

“Oh,” Harry whispered, all hope falling off his shoulders and crashing to the ground. He was first class. His aunt had insisted considering the length of the flight and they could damn well afford it. But here was tiny little Avalon, paying her own way to London probably, and stuck between two people in Row R all by herself.

“What row are you?” Avalon asked, begging and hoping that he would be sitting close to her. But the look on Harry’s face told her otherwise before he even answered.

“I’m flying first class,” he said softly.

Avalon tried her best not to be embarrassed. He wasn’t just charming, adorable and smoldering all wrapped up in one. He was also rich. Avalon blushed slightly and looked away from him, pulling her hand softly from his.

“Looks like you’re being called,” she said softly, giving him the kindest smile she could muster as he looked at her with some sort of disorientation.

Harry felt as though they were Jack and Rose on the Titanic. His heart hammered in his chest as he tried to clasp her hand again but it was already too far away. He felt as though this was it, even though he knew he would be seeing her at work once she was settled in.

But he didn’t want to be away from her for a second. Yet he had to say goodbye for the eight hour flight.

“I’ll see you when we land,” he said softly.

“Maybe,” Avalon smiled, “I have to go to baggage claim. Do you?”

“No this is it,” he said, tapping his satchel.

“Oh,” she nodded, “Well, I had fun today.”

“I’ll uh …” he cleared his throat, “I’ll see you at work.”

“Right,” her smile widened slightly, “I’ve got your number.”

“Right,” Harry nodded. He leaned forward and kissed her cheek, letting his lips linger for a moment before summoning all his willpower to walk away. Just before he handed over his ticket, he looked behind his shoulder and watched her for a moment.

Avalon was looking down at her feet, attempting to look as busy as she could before her row was called. When she looked up she caught his eyes looking at her for a moment before a small smile curled on his lips before he turned and boarded the long awaited plane.

It wasn’t long before she was seated, after having to hoist her bag high up into the areas above. She was sitting between a mother with a year old child and a tech nerd who was already starting to get out his laptop, iPad, and all his other wires.

It was going to be a long flight.

“Ma’am?” the stewardess asked softly, making Avalon’s head snap up. When she looked to the stewardess, she smiled and said, “You’ve been updated to first class.”

“I – I’m sorry?” Avalon asked, “I can’t pay for that. There must be some mistake.”

“No no,” the stewardess shook her head, “You’ve been …” she hesitated for a moment, “Requested.”