Thirteen

Jasper was walking with Theresa; they were walking to their next class while Monty was headed to his. Theresa's alone time with Jasper was a rare occurrence these days. It seemed that she was always alone with Monty, but they tried to include Jasper when they could. The walks to class were really the only time Jasper had Theresa to himself these days, and Theresa had noticed a bit of a change in Jasper.

He seemed to get irritated when he tried to make plans with Theresa or Monty. He always assumed that either of them were busy with each other, and sometimes they were. It wasn't that Theresa didn't enjoy hanging out with Jasper -- Jasper was her best friend -- she just felt like Jasper didn't want to spend time around her anymore. She would try to make plans, and he would always end up cancelling. "Go do something with Monty. You haven't had a date in a while," he always told her.

Theresa wondered if Monty had noticed the change too. But for right now, she was focusing on getting to class, and she couldn't help but be invested in the current conversation Jasper and her were having. Monty was merely an afterthought in her mind.

"You've got to come by the greenhouse sometime!" Jasper exclaimed. "Please! I really wanna show you this cool plant that I found!"

"Yeah!" Theresa replied with a smile. "It sounds awesome! Maybe we can do that later today?"

He smiled slightly, his eyebrow raised. "I thought you had plans with Monty tonight."

She hesitated a minute, then put her hand to her forehead. "Oh, shit, that's right. Well, tomorrow night then?" She flashed an apologetic smile.

He shrugged. "I mean if you really want to."

"I do! Jasper, please! I promise -- I'm all yours tomorrow night. Come on."

He sighed and walked into the classroom, not even looking at Theresa when he replied, "Sure. Tomorrow night."

---

Bellamy got up from the table and walked towards the Ark. Meanwhile, Theresa was walking around the campground, enjoying the scenery. She took a deep breath of the cool night air and looked towards the sky, watching the stars that she used to see up close. She wondered if Monty could see the stars too -- maybe he was looking up at them right now.

She told Bellamy that she was going to wait a few more days. In a few more days, she would get her bandages taken off and she would be able to leave. Kane wasn't here to stop her this time, and even if he did come back, she could slip away. She wouldn't fail this time.

"You know what they say about loners right?"

Theresa turned around and saw John Murphy strolling towards her with his hands stuffed in his pockets. She rolled her eyes and turned away from him.

"They say the loners are the crazy ones. They're always plotting people's murders in their heads," he said.

"How fitting for you," Theresa replied. "You can go away now."

Murphy let out a sigh as he walked up to Theresa and stopped, standing right beside her and looking up at the stars just as she was. "Nah, I think I'm okay right here," he said to her. "They let me go."

"I can see that. Personally, I think they made the wrong decision."

Murphy chuckled softly. "I'm just surprised they let Finn go."