Eight

When Theresa came back to consciousness, she was startled to find Jackson at her bedside. Bellamy was nowhere to be found. Her eyes widened at the sight of Jackson messing with her bandages. "Bellamy!" she tried to call out, but her voice was so hoarse it sounded like a whisper.

Jackson looked over at her and saw that she was awake. "Hey! Hey! You're alright!" he assured her.

"Bellamy...where is Bellamy?" she asked, completely breathless.

"He's out -- went to go look for supplies with some of the others," Jackson replied. "I'm not going to hurt you. All I need to do is change your bandages and check to make sure your wounds are healing alright."

Theresa let out a sigh, seemingly disappointed that Bellamy was no longer there. She coughed and weakly said, "Water. I need...wa-water."

Jackson stopped for a moment to grab some water that they kept in the tent for the patients. Theresa slowly sat up as best as she could. Jackson gave her a small drink of water. "Here you go," he said.

She took a gulp of it, drinking all of it at once. "Thank you," she said after she took a breath of air.

He chuckled. "You might want to take it easy there. Try drinking a little bit slower next time, okay?"

She nodded, but she didn't smile. Just then, Clarke Griffin made her way into the tent, causing Theresa's eyes to widen at the sight of her. But Clarke was alone. She looked around the tent until her eyes landed on Theresa, and she slowly walked over to Theresa's cot.

"Jackson," she addressed him, "can we have a minute?"

He was putting the finishing touches on Theresa's bandages. He turned to Clarke and said, "She's all yours." Then, he made his way out of the tent, leaving them alone.

"You're Theresa, right?" she said.

Theresa nodded.

She smiled slightly. "I've heard a lot about you," she added.

Theresa frowned at that. "I don't know what you've heard--" she started to say.

"Only the good things," she interrupted. "Jasper and Monty couldn't say anything bad about you. They always had the best things to say about you."

She was speaking in the past tense; that worried Theresa. She couldn't help the tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

Clarke's smile quickly disappeared, replaced with a concerned expression. "What?" she asked.

"They're gone, aren't they?" Theresa whispered, keeping in her sobs as best as she could.

"Who? Jasper and Monty?"

Theresa nodded.

Clarke chuckled and shook her head saying, "No! No, they're...they're okay. They're alive."

Theresa hesitated a moment before tears started streaming down her face, feeling a weight lift off of her shoulders. Relief spread over her face as the corners of her lips turned up in a smile. "Good," she said. "I'm...I'm really -- I mean, really glad to hear that."

Clarke smiled.

Then, Theresa asked, "Do they know I'm alive? Do...do they think I'm dead?"