15: A rivalry over cheese

"Bitch!"

Cherish felt a pair of hands jabbing into her back before she found herself landing uncomfortably on the floor. Thankful she had worn her flat shoes instead of ankle breaking heels, she looked up into an anger twisted face. Joana.

Biting back the string of curses she really wanted to let out, she pulled herself up off the floor, "Hello, Jo."  The words were pushed out through clenched teeth and she couldn't have been bothered less to veil the venom in her voice.

"Bitch! I can't believe you told my brother!"

As Cherish brushed her pants off, she sneered, "If you didn't want him to know, you shouldn't have been doing it out in the open where everyone can see!"

Joana pushed Cherish to the ground again, this time kicking her with her scruffy sneakers. "You are such a prude- just like Seven said."

What was this girl's problem? You'd think her whole life depended on what Seven said and did. What was so special about him anyways?

"What is it, one day I'm a whore and the next I'm a prude? Tell me, how does that work, Jo?"

Joana ignored the question, pressing her foot into Cherish's stomach, "I know you're doing all this to impress him."

"And who would that be?

"Seven."

"Right! Ha! And how would you know this?"

It was at that moment that a pair of long, lean, black denim clad legs appeared around the corner. Cherish followed them upwards till her eyes settled on Seven's face. The surprise on his face was half hidden by the bored way in which he folded his arms and leaned against the wall to watch the proceedings.

Joana, still unaware that he stood behind her, continued, "But, too bad little princess, Seven doesn't like you! No point in making your pathetic little attempts to get his attention, bitch!"

Cherish couldn't help but feel appalled, "For Seven? Are you fucking kidding me? Why would I want his attention? Now, let me up, Jo, I have a class to get to."

When Joana didn't move her foot or ease the amount of pressure she was pushing down, Cherish hooked her foot around Joana's and pulled. There was an awkward struggle on the floor, legs grappling for a hold and arms slapping around. For her part, Cherish was merely trying to get up and get to her class. Joana, on the other hand was doing her earnest best to hold Cherish down.

By the time they both finally stood, face to face, their bodies rising and falling heavily with the hard breaths they were taking, Cherish had a giant bluish spot on her face where Joana's sneaker caught her. Joana didn't seem quite satisfied, not yet, and she narrowed her eyes, "Seven thinks you're a pathetic and sad little prude, and you cover up your lameness by being such a bitch, don't you Sev?"

It was quiet, awkwardly so and Joana turned to look at him, trying to urge an answer out of him. If he was at all astonished by the situation, he hid it well. He chuckled as he crossed the hallway, leisurely unfolding his arms, "Sure." Grabbing Cherish's face in his long calloused fingers, he poked the rapidly growing bruise, "Really sad."

Cherish's eyes flashed with anger and she slapped his hand away, unable to hold herself back. "Good! Now that I have your seal of approval to join your sad and pathetic little gang, I'd like to get on my way."

As she walked away as calmly as she could manage, Seven called after her, "Going to class, Prudence?

When she reached to door at the bottom of the stairs she smiled before opening it. Reflected in the little glass window, was a tiny image of Seven pushing Joana away as she threw herself at him. Immediately her smile was replaced by a frown; God, her face would hurt for days!