PART ONE: Chapter 8: Pain

"I... I-" I couldn't speak.

I was crying.

I was sitting in a booth.

I was outside in a car.

Someone smacked me.

"Briar! Stop it! Did you hear me? The police are here!" Brady shouted.

Rose was driving, swerving into the road. Rose. She was here, alive and healthy.

"Brady, I..." He cut me off.

"I know it's a big deal that Rose is back, but you have to think, okay? Listen, those weren't cops back there, it was government officials. They're stepping up their game." He held my face still as I looked at him between both of his hands.

Bump.

Bump.

I watched as his eyes got wide, then I felt the sensation of... flying. And then pain.

I heard Rose scream.

I heard the sound of sirens flying past.

I heard the car tumbling down a hill.

I felt the car tumbling down the hill.

I felt pain.

And then nothing.

************************************************************************************

I woke up, in the car. It was flipped over, I think. Something was on my right leg, I turned around to look and felt a excruciating pain in my arm... The left one? I don't know, but it hurt. I again tried to look at was pinning my leg down, ready for the pain this time. But another pain accumulated in the place of my arm.

This one made me scream. It hurt much worse than my arm, how did I not notice it before? It was on my right leg, the one pinned down. I craned my neck this time to look again at the thing keeping me in the over turned car.

I gasped. My leg was wedged between the left window of the car, the window smashed down on my leg, shattered glass lay all around and I realized a peice was lodged into my right thy.

"Brady?" I rasped, my voice barely above a whisper. I was parched.

I heard a low moan and then a whimper.

"Briar?" A reply.

A female reply.

"Rose? Can you see Brady?" I tried to sound louder, but it only hurt me more.

I heard a sputter and then,"Here."

This time it was him.

"Can any of you get out?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm already out, but I can't move my leg. Brady's coming." Rose spoke, louder than I possibly could.

"Brady, my leg-" I began, only to be cut off by his gasp.

"Briar- Your leg..." He was on the left side of the car, and I knew he had seen my leg protruding from the smashed window.

"How are you speaking? That would be enough pain to make you pass out.

I thought about it and realized he was right. I had thought my way out of the pain, I knew I had to find out where they were first so I pushed the pain aside. Now all I could do was think about it.

I gasped as I tried once again to pull my leg through, and then screamed again as the tension worsened.

"Briar, there is a fallen tree in the car. That's what made the window smash down. Every time you move it pushes further." I gasped again and began to panic,"Briar, stop!"

I tried to calm myself, but failed. Where was Rose? She should be talking, why is she so quiet?

I'm drowsy...

"You lost so much blood..." Brady spoke to himself, not meaning to tell me.

"Shit." I cursed, loud enough for him to hear.

"Briar-" I interrupted him.

"Check on-" I gasped again,"Rose."

Every word I spoke felt like I had a spoonful of honey in my mouth, more added each time I opened it. I lulled to the side, and then stopped, realizing the pressure was being taken off.

"Brady?" I called quietly.

"She's out. Rose passed out. We have to get her to the hospital." Brady cursed under his breath and continued,"But you-"

"I can get out, just go. I found a way." I said, even though I knew what I discovered wasn't guaranteed to work.

"No. I'll help." Brady said, I knew he wouldn't break so I left it at that.

"If I move my leg to the side, it moves to-" I began only to be cut off yet again by Brady.

"The gap. There is a gap a little to the right." He whispered.

"But I can't move my leg without horrible pain, it'll make me pass out. You have to move it." I sucked in a deep breath, I knew it would hurt worse then me moving it but I couldn't move it any more.

"But it will hurt worse. I can't bring that pain to you." He whispered again, quieter.

"Do it." I said firmly," It's that or I bleed to death."

Brady took a deep breath as I felt his hands go in my leg.

A blood curdling scream ripped through the air.

It was my scream.