Chapter 11 - Chances - part 1

"In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take,

Relationships we were afraid to have,

And decisions we waited too long to make."

-anon

.

                                         Chapter 11 – Chances  Part 1

.

I'd only just left the room when I saw Kibbie. I had to ask.

"What was that text about? I mean, I need to speak to Darius? Why?"

She huffed, then told some drunken idiot to 'watch it!' as he bumped her, in turn, bumping me. The knock spilled a bit of her drink, and she wiped at her hand as we both threw him our respective death stares mixed with a what the fuck type face. He just rolled up to us and took it as some sort of mistaken opportunity to attempt to flirt. "Get lost!" I yelled at him over the music, pulling Kibbie with me.

The music seamlessly moved into another song with the beats overlapping and he immediately gave us the eye while pulling off some dodgy hippy moves and dancing like a total lunatic. Was that...the running man? Oh, he was attempting the bogle now as he then decided to 'make it rain' with imaginary money. Oh Lord, someone stop him! Like now, before he bursts into the...oh, he done did it; shuffling like MC Hammer. I took one look at Kibbie after watching his moves and we burst out laughing. That dude was clearly plastered. He didn't even say anything back! He was drunk enough, or possibly high enough to have been a complete prick about it. I'd say high probably, though he could have been both...

"Oh my God, what was that!" Kibbie laughed, almost spluttering her drink.

"I don't know, y'know!" I was still laughing, my hand over my mouth as I shook my head not knowing what the hell to call his moves. They were...interesting, but even that description was mild. No, actually, I'd say rhythmically challenged. Yeah, that sounds about right, if not a little polite. It was just too damn funny. Ah man...

"Listen," Kibbie said after he slinked into the crowd. "I spoke to him, to Darius, he was asking for you and I wasn't about to tell him where you were, just gave him some silly excuse about you being in the bathroom. The guy was making a total scene. Couldn't you hear him?"

I nodded having sighed, "Yeah, yeah I could, it kind of..."

"Can I just say something? I've had a long-arse week, I came here to party, right? We both did, we're meant to be letting our hair down, and yet here we are, here he is, we're having to deal with guy shit, I've barely even had a drink and I'm over it, okay? Darius...the guy's got to go."

"Kibb, I'm not the authority over what he gets up to or where he goes. He's got as much right to be here as I do. In fact he's the one who knows Reggie. I don't. What am I supposed to tell him? 'Oh, I'm sorry, you can't come to your friends party because I'm here'?"

"They're not exactly friends. They just know of each other, you know, mutually and all that."

"Fair enough. But still..."

"You know what I'm supposed to be doing here, Bree? Right now I'm supposed to be saying something like 'Oh my God, you and Macky? Hotness personified? Really? Did you?...Did he...? You lucky bitch!', High-fiving and shit like we're a pair of dudes..."

I scratched at my head and sighed softly, "I know, I know..."

"Well, not exactly high-fiving, but you know, tell-me-all-about-it kinda thing."