Chapter Ten

As the days went by, Sigyn slowly adjusted to meals with the royals. She eventually did not need Loki to soothingly rub his thumbs on her thigh. Loki always felt bad for her, even when she was able to deal with it. She always looked so lost and alone at the table. Royal conversations were the least of her worries throughout her entire life, and now she was suddenly thrust upon this world and expected to understand everything. Loki spent countless times explaining things to Sigyn when they were alone, so she could listen properly during conversations.

It all came in handy later on. Loki and Sigyn spent several days getting fit for new clothes, for they were about to embark on a tour. In celebration of their engagement, they had to visit all the nobles in other planets and around Asgard, receiving wedding wishes and good-humored advice. Loki had to explain to her that she was going to be a princess, a goddess, and needed to meet them all before she became one. She still did not fully understand it, but it did not matter. As long as Loki was there beside her the entire time, she could get through it.

Sigyn trembled in bed the night before the tour began. Servants had packed up all their clothes and sent them to the palaces they were visiting, so there was nothing more to do. Loki's expression softened in the darkness as he watched her toss and turn in nervousness, unable to fall asleep. He could not imagine how scared she was. It was bad enough dealing with his family, but now she had to deal with outsiders. He decided not to say that she was a servant, so she would not get any more negative looks. His family already gave her enough. He could not even begin to imagine how she was going to feel once the universe knew the truth about her. This was something that he definitely had to lie about without thinking of the potential impacts, like he did such a thing anyway.

Loki patted down her sweaty hair and held her close, assuring her that everything was going to be alright. It took him forever to get her to sleep. Even after she was in deep slumber he stayed awake, contemplating on their wedding. Was he making the right decision in marrying her? He felt so happy by her side, but she was suffering so much because of this. He wished that they could just quietly marry and avoid all the glitz and glamour that came with royal marriages. She would have preferred that too. They both loved the quiet and stillness of life, not all that loud and overly jovial behavior. This wedding was the complete opposite. He wished that he was not important, for then they could have a small wedding with just their family and no one else. Here, most of Asgard will be watching or celebrating with them.

Each tour date was not so bad. They did not stay at one kingdom or palace for more than a couple days, so it had a nice, rushed pace. Sigyn was in complete awe at the different scenes before her, having spent her entire life in the Asgard palace walls. Everyone seemed to comment on how lovely and polite she was and she blushed uncontrollably at the thought. She was so used to being invisible that it seemed weird to be getting all this praise and attention.

"You enjoy the attention," Loki smirked one evening, watching her pace up and down in their room. "You love people doting over you."

"No, you do," she shakily laughed.

"Maybe I have rubbed off on you, darling," he jeered.

"Maybe you have," she winked. "Not sure if that's a good thing, though."

"It's a perfect thing," he grinned at her, making her laugh.

"How many more places do we need to visit?" she asked, her feet finally calming down enough so she could climb into bed.

"There's only three more left."

"Then we'll be back in Asgard?"

Loki could not help but lovingly smile at her. She looked so innocent, so beautiful in that single moment. His previous worries about their marriage immediately disappeared from his mind. He had worked so hard to have this mesmerizing face beside him, and now that he had it, he felt so accomplished. Nothing was ever going to take that face away from him. By the power of Asgard, he was never going to let that happen.