chapter 1

"Whoo, hiking!" Katie exclaimed, half seriously excited and half not. She and Cherry had decided they would try to hike up Mount Ebbott, ignoring the warnings about people who go up never come back. They were going with one of Katie's cousins, Frisk. The little one was gender neutral, as they didn't identify with either being a boy or being a girl.

"Are we there yet?" Cherry sighed as it was a bit of a long walk.

Frisk looked up and all around their surroundings.

"Not yet, but we're almost to the top," Katie smiled to Cherry, and handed her a water bottle. "Frisk, sweetie, do you need a drink?" she asked the young kid. She took the stick temporarily out of the child's hand so they could sign clearly.

Frisk gave a nod and gave a sign of thirst. Cherry took her water bottle and didn't hesitate to take a drink.

Katie handed Frisk a water bottle. "Here you go, kiddo." she smiled softly.

Frisk gave a small back and took a drink.

"Did you hear the legend of those who climb the mountain never return?" Cherry asked Katie.

Katie blinked. "Well, yeah... I just thought that it was a story to warn kids not to climb mountains." she said.

Frisk looked all around the surroundings as they were taking a small break.

"Stranger things have happened..." Cherry replied with a small shrug.

Katie smiled softly. Cherry took another drink of water and felt much better as it felt like they had been walking for years. Frisk handed the water bottle back to Katie once finished. Katie put the rubbish in her bag. Cherry took a stretch before they continued on. However, as per the normal for her and Katie, this would be no ordinary trip, it would begin yet another adventure. Katie grinned and then took Frisk's hand and continued on. Frisk looked around as they walked, but seemed to had tripped over a root and fell.

"FRISK!" Cherry yelped.

Katie gasped as when Frisk fell it pulled her in too. "Cherry!" she gasped out as they fell, reaching to try to keep herself and Frisk from falling.

Cherry tried to reach for Katie only to fall after them.

When Katie woke up next, she had Frisk carefully hugged to her and noticed she had a locket around her neck. She frowned slightly as she hadn't been wearing it before.

'Finally.' she heard a voice say in her mind.

"Ugh... What happened?" Cherry groaned.

Frisk sat up, but hugged Katie back while looking around even more curiously.

"We must've fell down through the hole." Katie said, she tried to ignore the voice in her mind, and as there was no mirror, didn't notice the faint redness forming from her pupils.

Frisk huddled up to Katie.

"At least we had a soft landing." Cherry said once she noticed the flowers.

Katie ran a full check and was glad there were no injuries. She stood up slowly and held Frisk on her hip, like one would a small child. "Let's go see if we can find a way out." she said.

'These flowers are called Golden Flowers.' the voice told Katie.

"There has to be someone who can help us." Cherry said as she helped herself up and dusted herself clean.

Frisk reached out for Katie's hand as if by instinct.

Katie cuddled the small child and then looked around. "Yes, I'm sure there will be." she said quietly.